Thread: Painted Wolves

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Painted Wolves

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Wild Dogs - also known as 'Painted Wolves' - are among Africa's most enigmatic and endangered creatures. They have never been successfully domesticated, and said to be so distantly related to the domestic dog, there is no chance they would ever mate and produce offspring.

The species was discovered in 1820, established to be a canid and got its scientific name of Lycaon Pictus. Native to the African continent, Wild Dogs were found on savannah, semi-deserts, forests and bushland. They were brutally persecuted over the last century and driven into smaller and smaller areas, and only their tenacity and strength helped the species survive till today.

My image was captured in the Kruger Park last month. It depicts the excitement when a few members of a large pack (thirty three in total) prepared to go on a hunt. No aggression was displayed. The pups were not too small but were not allowed to join the adults, perhaps not strong enough or not fast enough...Or maybe too playful and naughty

Nikon D4
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 1250
    F7.1
    1/3 EV
    1/2000s

Image processed in LR and PSCC. Almost FF. I have a few 'cleaner' and simpler images in this folder as well as some portraits, just thought it might be less boring for you to see something different. The environment at the time was not ideal for photography... as you can see, just sticks everywhere. The earth was dry and thick brown dust filled the air every time the dogs ran around. I did my best to capture as much as I could of their life and behaviour, overjoyed to be able to witness it.

Thank you kindly for viewing and I hope you find a few moments to give me your opinion on this thread - all comments welcome, be it of a technical nature or otherwise.

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 10-06-2020 at 03:26 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the subtle use of vignetting and lighting here Gabriela along with twisting pose, the twin torn ears lend itself to a battle scarred veteran.

These guys are my favourite predator, and so different to most carnivores in so they will collectively share a kill without any savage bickering/fighting going on, and will ensure their pups share in the spoils with members regurgitating food back at the densite.

Sadly in some village/reserve/border areas of Sth/East Africa their life expectancy is now down to just 2 years in the wild, due to their nature to cover vast areas and come into contact with villages and their rabies carrying domestic dogs, which can wipe out a whole pack inside a few months.

TFS
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 10-06-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I think you have capture the chaos that ensues very well and the almost 'freeze frame' of the turning adult is particularly engaging. Having others lying down or running just adds to the scene and isn't distracting as they are enough OOF to not br distracting. Yes, perhaps 1/3200 may have been better to really freeze the moment, but hey... DoF looks spot on.

I doubt you have it, but a tad more on the LHS would be great, but at least the head isn't clipped. I think you could get some more depth in the FG that also helps the BKG so the vignette could be lost, but not a deal breaker. I think we can improve the vignette so drop me a line.

Overall a strong image Gabriela, you are under selling yourself here.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the alertness and the sense of motion here. The light on the wild dog is quite nice. Espcially the way it falls off to the left. A sweet moment captured here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- This is a fine image, loved the drama here and good call on vignette , it really adds to the image , making it appear dense and reflects the mood of the situation.

Nice details in your subject, and lovely colours as well. I really enjoyed viewing this frame.

Well done, TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriea,
    I really like the action, environment depicted here. I think you captured the true essence of the moment. A bit more space around the subjects might have been desirable, but in the heat of the moment, it is after all, "wildlife" photography. Very Nice

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all very much for feedback and kind words, I so appreciate it. And glad you enjoyed the scene, hope I can improve this image further taking into account your feedback and with a little help from Steve.

Apologies for not replying yesterday, had no Internet. Life in rural Africa is not easy these days, there are many issues...But wildlife is just amazing. So grateful for all the opportunities I have

Hope you all have a great rest of the week,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela what a gem - just love it, super shot, my only minor reservation is that I immediately noticed the ear so very close the the edge....but I think that could be fixed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear Jon,

And I completely agree with you about the ear...I do have three of four frames with more space on the LHS, but pose from the main subject is not the same, aaaargh!!!!
    Gabriela Plesea