Thread: Chipmunk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Chipmunk

Attached Images Attached Images

Caught this chipmunk in the morning light feeding on a sunflower. I liked the light and theme, but the background is a bit funky.
    Canon R5, RF 100-500 @ 500, 1/2000, f7.1, ISO 1600, hh.
    Processed in LR with TDN.

2. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry a fun image for sure and different!!!!

Is this processed with Adobe Standard, are you using PSCC too?

Overall the image is dark, with both Contrast & Blacks dominating the image, hiding detail. I might also back of on the depth of colour too, for me it looks a bit too saturated. I might also look at a 10x8 landscape if you have the content, going a bit more to the right? Is this a big crop? I don't mind the backdrop, what is it, but crop the light grey off the LHS. The highlights (HL's) need to be resolved from the seed. Techs look OK, just think you may have been a bit too close, backing off may have offered a little more DoF.

If you want a version that opens things up, let me know, it may aid to illustrate my points.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jerry,

Adorable little chap, lovely behavioural frame and I like the pose with him munching on the sunflower seed! As well as those little paws with visible nails, very sweet:)

You might have had your reasons, going for this almost square crop? Perhaps the purpose was to eliminate certain unwanted elements? Must say I agree with Steve's observations, subject a bit 'boxed' in the frame so landscape would look better with more space to the right for the subject to look into.

Colour wise, I quite like the chipmunk with its reddish brown fur and white stripes. Again, Steve is right, you could reveal more detail by lifting the blacks or shadows in LR (or both if needed). The sunflower appears too intense - lowering the saturation (yellows) would actually help the subject stand out more.

Good thinking on techs and sharpness is there, worth spending a bit more time on this image, it is unique and very special. Looking forward to more from you

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Something different here JT and most welcome, agree on more room and aside the very small changes to shadow/colour should not allow us to detract from a fine image.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a unique frame of this chipmunk. Can't beat that sunflower setting. I could care less about the background. Nice view of that tiny foot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry -- Something different and fun to watch. Liked the perch and colours , though they appear a bit saturated but looks good to me. Blacks are a bit strong and as a result they are masking those finer details. But all in all a fun watch.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jerry a fun image for sure and different!!!!

Is this processed with Adobe Standard, are you using PSCC too?

Overall the image is dark, with both Contrast & Blacks dominating the image, hiding detail. I might also back of on the depth of colour too, for me it looks a bit too saturated. I might also look at a 10x8 landscape if you have the content, going a bit more to the right? Is this a big crop? I don't mind the backdrop, what is it, but crop the light grey off the LHS. The highlights (HL's) need to be resolved from the seed. Techs look OK, just think you may have been a bit too close, backing off may have offered a little more DoF.

If you want a version that opens things up, let me know, it may aid to illustrate my points.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks for your comments. I seem to consistently be a bit heavy on the blacks, so good point to improve on. I have reworked the image with that in mind and does seem to improve the overall appearance. Also backed off the vibrance slider some. As far as the crop, I probably could go for landscape, but would need to improve my PS skills a bit more as their is a vertical line that would take some serious work (currently beyond my capabilities, ).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry, just some thoughts:

- Do you shoot ETTR and use the histogram
    - LR adds additional Blacks & Contrast behind the scenes so you may find not adding any or minimal may help
    - Have you now changed your LR setting to Adobe standard prior to any raw work? Ask if this is not clear.
    - Always shoot how you want to portray the subject ie Portrait, but if time allows flip to Landscape, also try tight and wide too... having more options can be beneficial when selecting, as it may highlight an option you had not considered

would need to improve my PS skills a bit more as their is a vertical line that would take some serious work (currently beyond my capabilities).
    Everything comes in time Jerry, no rush.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super capture - well done!! Jerry you are not alone when it comes to processing skills I think we are all still learning on a regular basis. I like the image but as previously mentioned the darker elements need opening up or lifting. Does you camera show the live image as to be captured on the rear screen? I am not sure what the Canons do any more but on my camera I can see the actual image I am going to record so I can see any blinkies before I press the shutter. If you can set yours to do this it would help in getting the optimal exposure.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Does you camera show the live image as to be captured on the rear screen? I
    Jon, it has a rotating flip out screen, if required, so you have everything there.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon, it has a rotating flip out screen, if required, so you have everything there.
    OK Steve, thanks.