Thread: Fall Battle

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fall Battle

Attached Images Attached Images

These two bulls were pretty serious. Charles M. Russell Wildlife Refuge, Montana.
    Canon R5, 600II with 1.4XIII, f5.6, 1/500, ISO 1600
    Processed in LR and Topaz DeNoise

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, I really like it, you can feel the struggle from their postures. The bull on the right is on the offensive nad the other one is on the defensive, you can see his muscles straining. I also like the cacked mud on the front left and hind feet of the bull on the right. If you could loose the clump of grass/shrub in the FG and the stump behind the left bull and maybe the angling trunk next to the right bull it would be even better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Jerry, can feel the tension here, love the pair not taking their eyes off each other, a busy BG sure, but not too distracting for mine, love the overall look and colours here.

I would crop a small amount off the bottom.

TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry, love the autumnal colours. clarity, POV and interaction.

Issues already mentioned, but just be mindful that with the R5 you need to think a slightly higher ISO unlike the R6 because of the pixels, this is why the R6 is so good in low light. The NR is too harsh (is this auto, if so peg it back) and at 1600 it should be minimal amounts if any, unless the file was under exposed. All NR must be done at the Raw stage, never on the 'baked Tiff', hence why Raw conversion software has it, so ally TDN at the raw prior to exporting as a Tiff to PSCC.

Also, just a small point, but we do like folk to comment to on other threads rather than just posting and image, it builds on the community Jerry and is a great way to learn & exchange thoughts.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jerry, love the autumnal colours. clarity, POV and interaction.

Issues already mentioned, but just be mindful that with the R5 you need to think a slightly higher ISO unlike the R6 because of the pixels, this is why the R6 is so good in low light. The NR is too harsh (is this auto, if so peg it back) and at 1600 it should be minimal amounts if any, unless the file was under exposed. All NR must be done at the Raw stage, never on the 'baked Tiff', hence why Raw conversion software has it, so ally TDN at the raw prior to exporting as a Tiff to PSCC.

Also, just a small point, but we do like folk to comment to on other threads rather than just posting and image, it builds on the community Jerry and is a great way to learn & exchange thoughts.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks for the comments Steve. I just started using Topaz so plead serious inexperience with the software. I do process in Raw, so good there, did use AUTO (lots to learn there). This image seemed to look much better on my screen then this downloaded file, but all points well taken.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments Steve. I just started using Topaz so plead serious inexperience with the software. I do process in Raw, so good there, did use AUTO (lots to learn there). This image seemed to look much better on my screen then this downloaded file, but all points well taken.
    Great 'mindset' Jerry and from my perspective, yes you can make some points on the techs, but they are for the future captures, but any improvement to the image in PP I think is always worth exploring.

T DN is the flavour of the month, but few use it prior to the 'baked 16 Tiff' and this is key. Re SS on the R5 is only from a conversation had with canon way back in late May/June. Enjoy it, it's a great bit of kit that works well with EF lens, no need to go for the RF unless you have to. Just watch your ISO 3200 OK, 640 I would say is the ceiling.

File should be exactly the same no change from what you see.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame of these bulls battling. I like the setting. Nice you have a clear view of the eyes on each bull.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jerry,

Glad to see you posting here, I am enjoying the scene overall and interaction in this frame. Lovely textures in the coat of the RHS bull. Colours look good and composition works well, perhaps a tad off the bottom would be good and a little 'clean-up' in the FG, ethics permitting.

Looking forward to more images from you. As well as feedback - be it of a technical nature or otherwise - on others' threads, whenever you share your own

Wishing you a great week ahead,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loved the action and those massive antlers, did it turn out to be fatal ? The weapons definitely look dangerous.

Nicely timed and well framed. The inclusion of forest also adds to the scene. Apart from the issues described above, I stil liked this image.

Nice one.

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the angle from which the image was taken, the action is good and the two clearly visible in focus eyes really does catch my attention. The tree stump on the left isn't ideal but I don't mind it, same goes for the small brush in centre foreground.
    Just afow a couple of seconds I thought they were red deer (probably because I am going to photograph them tomorrow) but they are of course much larger and the width of the antler much greater.