Thank You Posts

Default Red Deer

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 1.4iii
    f/5.6
    1/640
    ISO 1000

This is one from the beach near to a little village called Applecross on Scotland's North West coast. I thought it was quite unusual, as I had never seen a Red Deer on the beach before. Approx 30% cropped from the original...HH...ACR and PS2020.

Will

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Will,

You are absolutely right - very unusual to find a deer on the beach, but perhaps he was just looking for a safe spot to chill and be on his own for a while

I quite like the pose and despite the busy BG I also like the way the subject is 'nested' against those rocks. Techs look good and the Deer is sharp with some nice detail in the coat.

Nice composition, colour wise I am a bit shy to comment as I do not know the subject nor the environment - does the coat colour of this animal change, depending on season?

Overall an interesting image and I enjoyed viewing, many thanks for sharing. I hope to see more from you

Kind regards
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat find. Cool to see the deer on the beach against that old rock wall. He looks pretty content with just sitting there. Nice detail on the deer as well.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, nice to see a Red Dear, but not loving the location, I'd much prefer to see it more in the Highlands with the sweeping mountains.

Again I think you are being conservative on the SS, evident on the last post which was soft, low SS will kill the images. Overall it's a bit flat, darkening the FG, top LHC and to the right helps. Adding a midtone Curves adjustments pulls more life into the image, likewise enhancing that lovely yellow lichen.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments...appreciated

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A handsome looking young stag Will, well focused good DOF and he looks sharp to me. My initial reaction is that the image looks a little lacking in tonal contrast. If my memory serves me well the deer sometimes go to the beach and browse on the seaweeds they are a good source of trace elements.
    I am going to check the weather forecast there may be an opportunity tomorrow morning to get some images of red deer at Tatton Park.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon.....Appreciated...Hope you got some photographs at Tatton Park

Will