Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Theme: Blue Da Ba Dee

  1. #1
    BPN Member Brian Sump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    993
    Threads
    100
    Thank You Posts

    Default Theme: Blue Da Ba Dee

    Name:  20200722-Blue-Grosbeak-HORIZONTAL-Brian-Sump_BMS5032-FORUM-SIG-SS45_.3-touch-final.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  573.3 KB

    One of the last Blue Grosbeak shots from the summer.

    D850
    600mm + 1.4x
    Handheld
    ISO 1600
    1/1000
    f5.6

    LR and PS. DN and Nik filter.
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 09-28-2020 at 09:49 AM.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Daniel Cadieux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    24,816
    Threads
    3,805
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    I can relate with hose productive mullein perches! Those are deep and rich blues you got on this beautiful bird. Great when the bird perches on the near side too. Beauty BG. You could opt to lose the separated leaf at bottom since it is so small. Good stuff!

  3. #3
    BPN Member Bill Dix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    11,957
    Threads
    1,807
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Lovely frame. Really shows the bird's colors to perfection. Nicely done.

  4. #4
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,656
    Threads
    291
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    showstopper Brian, such a beauty and a superb image, IQ, perch, pose, and colors are gorgeous

  5. #5
    BPN Member Paul Burdett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,370
    Threads
    222
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    What a beautiful bird! Ditto the positives Brian. Agree with removing the small leaf.

  6. #6
    Avian Moderator gail bisson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    12,248
    Threads
    872
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Textbook perfect.
    Nice BG, great perch and perfect HA with perfectly parallel body.
    IQ rocks.
    I would clone out that little bit of leaf protruding from bottom.
    Good image and wish it was mine,
    Gail

  7. #7
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the world
    Posts
    17,815
    Threads
    1,069
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Hi Brian, you are certainly getting some excellent opportunities with killer BRG's very nice work indeed.

    Your call, but with the amount of PX's you have I would go for more SS compared to a lower pixel based body ie 20, images will benefit, doesn't need to be excessive. Personally I find the image/subject rather dark and opening the Exposure up does help and reducing some of the 'Contrast' slider adjustments you may have made, not just contrast. In addition, and your call, but the striking electric blue is flooding the detail and creeping in to other ares like the beak, or is the beak tinged with Blue? I've not seen the subject so can't comment, but feel it's more neutral? I might also burn in some Exp on the lower leaves too.

    Just my take Brian, but still a lovely capture.

    TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: Itís ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

  8. #8
    BPN Member Brian Sump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    993
    Threads
    100
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Brian, you are certainly getting some excellent opportunities with killer BRG's very nice work indeed.

    Your call, but with the amount of PX's you have I would go for more SS compared to a lower pixel based body ie 20, images will benefit, doesn't need to be excessive. Personally I find the image/subject rather dark and opening the Exposure up does help and reducing some of the 'Contrast' slider adjustments you may have made, not just contrast. In addition, and your call, but the striking electric blue is flooding the detail and creeping in to other ares like the beak, or is the beak tinged with Blue? I've not seen the subject so can't comment, but feel it's more neutral? I might also burn in some Exp on the lower leaves too.

    Just my take Brian, but still a lovely capture.

    TFS
    Steve
    Steve, your input is appreciated. I actually spent a good bit of time with this massaging it as it was pretty low light and back lit with the light that I had.

    For my comfort, the D850 maxes put at ISO 1600, in some cases 2000 so not much more room on SS.

    Regarding the beak, correct this bird definitely has blue in the beak. I think you may have commented on an earlier shot but I may have forgot to respond, sorry. Definitely did not add any blue selectively on this frame, just worked to make sure it was full and rich and not washed out. I see a version that could also work with less contrast.

  9. #9
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the world
    Posts
    17,815
    Threads
    1,069
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Hi Brian, thanks for responding back promptly and no worries on the later thread.

    I think you will know where I'm coming from and trying to help maximise both capture & output. I'm surprised on the maxes, R5 is better, but you do have to understand more on the PP side perhaps on higher ISO, or adjusting in the capture to then address things at PP. Perhaps the notion I suggested to you might well work here and so be more specific in targeting things?

    I will be back later on two outstanding items for you.

    All the best.

    Steve
    Post Production: Itís ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

  10. #10
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the world
    Posts
    17,815
    Threads
    1,069
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Brian forgot to ask was this pre or post LR change to Profile?
    Post Production: Itís ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

  11. #11
    BPN Member Brian Sump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    993
    Threads
    100
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I can relate with hose productive mullein perches! Those are deep and rich blues you got on this beautiful bird. Great when the bird perches on the near side too. Beauty BG. You could opt to lose the separated leaf at bottom since it is so small. Good stuff!
    Yes you can, you've had some beauties on Mullein! Great feedback, thank you Daniel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Lovely frame. Really shows the bird's colors to perfection. Nicely done.
    Thanks a bunch Bill!

    Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    showstopper Brian, such a beauty and a superb image, IQ, perch, pose, and colors are gorgeous
    Really appreciate your kind words Ann!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    What a beautiful bird! Ditto the positives Brian. Agree with removing the small leaf.
    Thank you for the comments Paul!

    Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Textbook perfect.
    Nice BG, great perch and perfect HA with perfectly parallel body.
    IQ rocks.
    I would clone out that little bit of leaf protruding from bottom.
    Good image and wish it was mine,
    Gail
    Very meaningful, thank you Gail!

  12. #12
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    8,940
    Threads
    1,540
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Beautiful. Wouldn't change a thing.

  13. #13
    Publisher Arthur Morris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indian Lake Estates, FL
    Posts
    30,888
    Threads
    1,364
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    PMP > pretty much perfect. Love the perfect pose and HA and the soft light. I am with Dan on losing the small, extra leaf. with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

    BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

    Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

    E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.










  14. #14
    BPN Member Brian Sump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    993
    Threads
    100
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    John and Artie, your gracious comments well received. Thank you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Web Analytics