Thread: Nankeen kestrel

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nankeen kestrel

This youngster is learning to hover in a back lit evening which I find very difficult and often underexposed
    In any case I like the colours common from her back lit back! and the fact that the Red Gum tree gives
    some relevance in the shot. Nankeen cloth was a pale yellowish cotton originally made in China in Nanjing which gave the name to a number of birds near this colour in Aust.

Name:  untitled-(17-of-363)-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  552.1 KB

D5
    500f4
    AT700MM
    1/3200
    hh.

ISO F11 not sure why

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose and the high key look. And the incision of the leaves as well. The feathers of the belly and the secondary underwing coverts (if my terminology is correct, look overly smoothed as if from too much noise reduction.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the light through the feathers, the details and the framing. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great in high key. I would loose the leaves. But it's up to you what to do.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ian, first time I have heard of such a bird. Love the American Kestrel and I would probably fall in love with this variety too.

There's a real dreamy feel from the over-exposed sky (high key) make up that is really quite nice. Additionally, John's point is valid from a traditional sense but I actually like the flora in UL corner, esp as the bird is eyeing it almost as if a landing spot. It's a facet I've been working to integrate in my frames just for creative expression.

Did you have to lift the exposure much in post? Was the original underside grainy? Based on Arties comments, it seems like maybe the camera struggled to maintain detail. Who knows, just an observation.

Good to see you here and posting.