Thread: Chital (Axis axis)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Chital (Axis axis)

Attached Images Attached Images

I am curious to see what you make of this. I used the Olympus raw converter for this, I also did one in ACR which looked totally different. The image was captured in Bandhavgargh forest, taken early morning so there was still some considerable mist hanging in the air. I have tried to strike a balance to show reasonable detail and still retain that early morning misty look. The deer were usually pretty timid ( actually if wasn't in the Suzuki I think I would have been too!) and rarely seen in the open - or when they were, I just got the rear view.
    Hand held from the vehicle
    Olympus E-M1X
    LensModel : M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14
    Lens focal length : 420 mm
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 840.0mm
    Metering mode : Pattern
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 1000
    Exposure time : 1/320 sec
    F number : F5.6
    Exposure compensation : +1.7 EV (way to much - probably didn't have chance to reset)
    Flash : OFF
    ACR/PSCC

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

What lovely sighting, so wonderful that you managed to capture images of this shy species, not sure we have ever seen a Chital here in the Widlife forum?

Framing is good. I like the pose and eye contact, and despite the abundant vegetation the Chital stands out nicely.

Exposure comp not a problem, IMO. There is an overall 'vintage' look to this image in terms of colour, do you think it reflects the conditions at the time?
    I took the liberty to import this in LR, looked at WB and my version looks quite different. Let me know what you think, it is a bit 'cooler' and not sure I managed to retain the misty feel to the same degree

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I like your version too, I think the cooler look of yours may be a little closer - I have slept a few times since I was there so I can't remember precisely what the light was! I'll go back to ACR and have another look and make it a little cooler. The original file is almost a white out.
    ACR version attached, I think the slightly yellow look is about right.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 09-26-2020 at 01:53 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a nice encounter, albeit in a busy environment. I quite like the placement, but moving a bit more to your right I think will have avoided the branch in the BKG, or just remove it, easy fix. Overall the colour is off, Gabriella is getting there, but even in the misty morning I feel you can get greater definition/clarity . I know you were still trying to find your legs with the new kit, and it is sharp I feel and less sooty/grainy as previous early images. A next texture in the cot and good rack. maybe a tad more at the foot, just a sliver?

TFS
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 09-26-2020 at 05:08 AM.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, no opportunity for moving, it was a grab shot, in Bandavgarh the only animal the drivers go for is tiger! I agree I can get greater clarity/definition in the subject - quite a bit more but I was trying to capture the scene in the misty circumstance and of course good detail is not apparent to the naked eye - albeit to a camera/computer. I feel my biggest issue was in getting the colours correct - I don't think I did.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I feel my biggest issue was in getting the colours correct - I don't think I did.
    Would agree Jon, this is why I say, getting that initial colour correct at the start is the bedrock to all images. Lets hope you don't have too many misty mornings next week.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aaaargh Jon, your second version is much better but Steve nailed it, now it pops Wasn't sure about the 'misty' feel and how to retain it, wish I had tried to bring some more definition here, like he did. Well, I have learnt something

Talking about overexposure...it's amazing now much one can recover, even when the file looks - as you said - like a white out. I too have some overexposed ones from this last trip but so far no issues. A few almost blown whites in one or two frames but so far managed to fix the issue in LR.

Hope you both have a nice week-end, I am off to my little 'corner of paradise' and will be back on Sunday night. Wherever you go next week I hope you have some awesome light and great sightings, Jon! Thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man this looks like one fat deer. Nice to see the deer in its environment. The antlers look nice still covered in velvet. The spots are interesting. White-tails loose their spots about after 4-5 months of age. The eye contact is nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like your second version Jon...It was similar to my misty morning osprey shots....Do you leave as is, or more detail on the subject scenario ..I think its a matter of taste...I do like Gabriela's and Steve's versions, they show the detail more...But, I don't think they show the misty feeling as much. Nice 'natural' looking shot with the surroundings.

Will