Thread: Wild Dogs of Kruger National Park

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wild Dogs of Kruger National Park

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Everyone,

Steve inspired me to share an image of a wild dog, the other night So here it is, frame captured on the 11th of September in Kruger Park, a place Jon is very familiar with

One of the very few images where I did not have to deal with sticks and rocks and tall grasses. Shot from the vehicle with a bean bag as support. It is almost FF with only a tiny crop from the left, right and top.

Techs:

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm F2.8
    ISO 1000
    F7.1
    1/3 EV
    1/1600s

Processed in LR and PSCC, had a few bright/white speckles in the BG to conceal. Hope you like it

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do indeed remember Kruger, it is one of the few places I would love to revisit. This look just like one of my dogs, I really like the image nicely detailed, unobtrusive background.
    I have downloaded and tried differing means of lowering the darker tones by a very small amount and I think it has a beneficial effect.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Gabriella, this is super and you do have some awesome encounters to share, with some great encounters, so no hiding now... share them.

Framing works and I like the HA and the alert ears pricked up. Having a simple BKG for once has isolated the head nicely. Techs spot on and look at the detail/clarity well worth getting things sorted, hey?

I agree with Jon to a degree, i would add a S curve midtone at 40% and a Channels curve to bring a tad more depth in, maybe highlight those white hairs in the ears? Just watch those little areas of brighter HL's on the cheek, may need to mask them on some of the layers adjustments you have applied. This has only your sharpening applied, but you can see the difference, fantastic detail in the muzzle, nice work gabriella, even in the cradle light you have been burning, it's all worked in your favour, well done!

Jon, why not post your thoughts, always nice to see a different POV.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good evening dear Jon and Steve,

Wonderful to hear from you both, your constructive feedback always welcome! Feeling a bit 'rusty' after many months of no PP work but with your help I'll be back on track soon.

Jon, hope you plan to return to Kruger Park sometime? Only spent a few days there but had some amazing sightings, thought of you and how you would have enjoyed them! Seven leopard sightings in nine days... a few lion, eles, wild dogs, spotted hyenas, badgers, and much more.

Overall I agree with your comments and critique - I will have another look at this image to try and implement your suggestions. Steve, you are so encouraging and so motivating, heartfelt thanks for your RP and your thoughts! Will be back with more soon

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see you back! I like the pose here and that background is just gorgeous. The alert pose is very nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much John, appreciate your comments
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cracking shot Gabriela, love the complimentary BG here, with Steve's S curve midtone giving it just a little extra pop.
    Look forward to more from your trip.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking real good Gabriela....I could almost reach out and give the forehead a wee scratch...The detail is fab and that BG shows the subject perfectly. Great POV as well. Nice work.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Marc and Will, more images in the pipeline

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea