Thank You Posts

Default Dew Drops and Buff-breasted Sandpiper

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken on Cape Sable Island, Nova Scotia
    September 2020
    Canon 1 Dx 3, 600mm and 1.4x
    ISO 2500 SS 1/1250 f 5.6
    Cropped to pano.
    Will be interested to hear what you guys think. No feet or tail...Image Killer?
    PP- Had to reduce yellows and magentas a fair bit and fiddled with WB. In the end, reduced the WB slightly.
    Taken at sunrise.
    Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite artistic. Love the image design, the soft light, and the head turn. I love most of the dew drops except for those in front of the bird :) And the tallest grass. ear the right frame-edge bugs me. That plus the obscured tail. Overall quite a pleasing image.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the soft light and pastel colors! Yes, it would be nice to see the tail, but I think the completely natural setting and dew carry the image. I'm loving the wide crop on a board where people are quick to crush the subject into the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another Buff-breasted! This one is way more artistic than what I just posted. I regret that I didn't go for some wider shots as well.
    The composition and the pano crop works beautifully here. The light and the faded colors are spot on and it hits the birds eye very nicely with that headturn.
    The dew drops are a unique addition and I think you did the right thing going for this very low shooting angle. I don't mind that the feet are missing. I would like to see more of the tail, especially as there are some smudge where the tail ends that draws attention. But it is not an image killer. Congrats on a cool frame!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The dew drops make this one for me. I'm a sucker for the dew though. You can see enough of the bird, so i don't think the tail/feet missing matter any. Framing is very nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well seen and framed Gail, I love environmental shots, and this really benefits from the jewel like dew drops. Just lovely

Mike

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love every square mm of this canvas, period. TFS

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beautiful capture, Gail. Outstanding early morning light, and striking pose. Love the dew drops, low point of view, and your choice of crop. Don't mind not seeing feet or end of tail.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail, love this bird-environment frame. Great light, great pose and composition works well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Granted I would love to see the feet and tail. But the pano crop featuring the dew drops in soft morning light save the day. A beautiful frame.