Thread: Red Grouse

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Grouse

Attached Images Attached Images

Just quickly popped over to the Moors the other day to see what, if any of the Red Grouse were doing after the 'Glorious 12th'.

As Will knows, these guys are either with you or against you, meaning they are quietly confident and come close, or stay at least 12-15m+ away. This one was cooperative and using one of the man made hides, a shooting bunker I could get a good vantage point, however here the Grouse got spooked by another Grouse flying over and bolted a few meters. Yes, having more SS 1/2500 would have been good, but no chance of changing, however the super fast AF just locked on and at 12fps no problem, each frame pin sharp. The light also highlighted the gorgeous colouration of the plumage and so you can see how well these game birds are at concealment.

Normally shots are tight, not showing their lovely feet, so here you can get to see the white feet and long talons they have. The red eyebrow is hidden, but hints of red poking through the head plumage are visible on the hi res. Nice to shoot at a low ISO, super clean images and no need for any NR.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Red Grouse (Lagopus lagopus scotica)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X MarkIII
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/6.3 ISO400 HH
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRC 9.3 & PS2020
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, techs spot on as always, love the color palette. Easy to see how the bird would be hidden in the vegetation of the Moors. I guess I wish the vegetation hiding the back foot was not there. The white on the belly, legs and feet is interesting, makes me wonder why a bird that would be camouflaged would have the white. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, great to hear from you and thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the legs, I have no idea, perhaps Will may? Certainly the ones I photograph don’t change plumage colour, but in Scotland they go white to blend in with the snow, and so both body & legs are a nice shade of white.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No feet and the light angle is pretty bad.... Subject is great..
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the environment shown.These grouse are such gorgeous birds.
    Nice to see the foot stride.
    I am not crazy about the light angle and it would be nice to see the rear foot but certainly not a big issue.
    Do you have a bit more room on RHS?
    Gail

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great to me, not sure about the reservations over light angle?? There is a bit of shadow but it is natural and you have shown detail??

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail, glad you can see the foot, as it’s rare you do, because they are often hidden by the heather/vegetation. Agree re light, more to come... Sadly FF on the width, albeit, I could extend a bit more very easily, penalties of a prime fixed lens.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, exchanges overlapped.

Light, I’ll take it as it comes, no worries, but seems it’s more important here perhaps, but you do get to see the feet and you know how difficult that is. Just nice to get out into the wilds and avoid local ponds & parks, well until we have even further lock downs that are pending!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a really nice view of this striking bird, but the frontal shadow make this a tough image for me. Bummer because the plumage and processing are beautiful.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning bird! I think most things have been said already but I want to highlight the fact that the feet are showing in this habitat. That is not easy in that terrain. Other than that I think the light is an image killer and the shadowed chest is a pity. The frame is also a bit too tight and needs more room in the direction that the bird is heading towards.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Never realized the legs are that white. The pose and framing and detail are right on per ususal. ISO 400 didn't know you went so low.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks, and yes Ivan, it's good to see the feet.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, beautiful bird. I don't mind the back foot 'issue' at all.

The environment is really nice. The light angle/shadows did stand out to me and would love a bit more in front of bird. You did well with what you had, congrats on getting the shot.