Thread: Light through the crest...

Hybrid View

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Light through the crest...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 100-500 RF 1.4xtc @700 f10 1/2000 ISO 800 HH, Manual EXP, slight crop for composition

I arrived at the lagoon while at dawn and 15 minutes before sunrise. First subject I spotted was one of my favorite waders, the snowy egret. I created about 20 frames in the glow from the dawn sky. I did notice a haze and thought it was condensation on the EVF. It turns out the lens also had condensation (AC in car to 90% humidity, next time camera bag in the trunk) and the images were not up to par. I saw this when reviewing those first images of the day, a real bummer. I waited for it to clear and began day looking for other subjects as this beauty flew down the lagoon and directly into the light source of the glowing horizon. After chasing a few subjects, settled into one spot and let them come to me. Later, about an hour and half past sunrise and a few close visitors, the unblocked sun was getting slightly harsh so I sat up in the mud to get ready to leave. Lo and behold, not three meters behind me, now in wrong position with the sun behind and to the left of this frame, was the same original bird now preening closer than any bird had gotten all morning. After completely muttering a few obscenities, I knew if I got up to change position, away she would go. Pointed the rig to see if some how I could get light on the face as preening continued. Noticed when preening under the wing, the side/back rim light came through those crest feathers, one of my favorite things about this bird. I moved the histogram left till I clearly had the small hill of brightest light away from the right border of the histogram. This is right in the live viewfinder on mirrorless. Then backed that blip right against the 255 channel for ETTR based on the rim light. Fired just a couple frames as the head came back down to preen under the wing. I kinda liked the result but am curious what others think.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Boy David I love it would be thrilled if this was mine,totally different and that preening is a big plus. Some will say something about a color cast. I'm not sure maybe the light.A little more room on the left and some on top,I know you were close. But enjoyed looking at this. TFS

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely detail and a creative composition. I agree about more room on the left, and there is certainly a fairly strong green cast. Some of that can be handled, but the image is heavily shadowed which will create challenges.

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Lovely detail and a creative composition. I agree about more room on the left, and there is certainly a fairly strong green cast. Some of that can be handled, but the image is heavily shadowed which will create challenges.
    Thanks to both of you for kind comments and valued help. Being partially color blind, I'm king of the color cast, being partially color blind, but this cast (to greens) was a choice using slight jog of tint slider. Figured I was going all "artistic" with this image anyway. Thanks again gents...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi David, not wishing to cover old ground, but removing the cast, irrespective of any 'artistic' look & feel I feel elevates the image. Perhaps a tad too much NR to the BKG. Not sure about the R's expose, but generally most cameras are still falling short of being blown, even if you tells you, I know with the 1 DX's you have still a third to two thirds it will under expose even if you are fully right. I would also loose the stray feather at the bottom.

Just my take thought.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi David, not wishing to cover old ground, but removing the cast, irrespective of any 'artistic' look & feel I feel elevates the image. Perhaps a tad too much NR to the BKG. Not sure about the R's expose, but generally most cameras are still falling short of being blown, even if you tells you, I know with the 1 DX's you have still a third to two thirds it will under expose even if you are fully right. I would also loose the stray feather at the bottom.

Just my take thought.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks mate. Yes, in my experience with the R, that is also true with this body and I knew that final histogram blip was there. Just didn't want to blow out the very reason for even taking the image. Or, just chicken...Your version does even further showcase the back/rim light. Always appreciate your thoughts and help...

ps
    At this distance the BG was very smooth but I did run only one round of NR on the entire image based on profile from a small piece of the BG. Didn't affect the bird at all to my eye. I really like to sharpen the entire image when I can rather than choose subject and then sharpen. Gives a more natural edge, I think. That's why I ran NR at all. I am sure you have much better technique, my friend.
    Last edited by David Roach; 09-22-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, at ISO800 just don’t apply NR, it doesn’t need it if well/correctly exposed. This obsession folk have about applying NR below say ISO 2000 is just crazy and simply wrong. Super smooth backgrounds don’t enhance images and can often go the opposite way, where images look ‘cut out and stuck on’’, or false.

As I said to Gail, get a print done and see just how good and smooth the image is, without NR, it might change your thinking.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi David, at ISO800 just don’t apply NR, it doesn’t need it if well/correctly exposed. This obsession folk have about applying NR below say ISO 2000 is just crazy and simply wrong. Super smooth backgrounds don’t enhance images and can often go the opposite way, where images look ‘cut out and stuck on’’, or false.

As I said to Gail, get a print done and see just how good and smooth the image is, without NR, it might change your thinking.
    Looking at the raw, me thinks you are correct...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Me thinks you are up early

David, NR is often being used in the wrong way, and folk are applying it on the ‘baked Tiff’ which again is incorrect, NR must always be applied at the Raw stage. I would leave it off, it’s just another stage the image doesn’t need and will, IMHO look better and more ‘natural’.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, I am a little late to this party but not that I have not been following the image and comments. As others have written the composition is interesting. I think the F/10 is limiting what would be a more out of focus background. I wonder why you would make a white bird green intentionally. I have read that you are partially color blind but the software provides the tools to check the whites regarding the RBG values. I am always checking the whites and blacks for the RBG values. Whites can easily pick up a green tint from reflected light off green vegetation, black can easily be too blue. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

13. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, agree in principle with the above, but would suggest in going for a more neutral grey first of all, then addressing the ‘whites’ in PS where can be more descending and hone things far better. Plus using Layers, Masks etc you can be very specific as you know, without affecting other areas of the image.

15. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the framing with that light coming through the crest.