Thread: Lord of the Flies

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lord of the Flies

Took the camera out Sunday after finding a photo spot with TONS of potential while birding on Saturday (It hadn't been touched for the previous month). That was the BEST DECISION EVER as I walked out with 6-7 keepers of 3 different species! ****, I only had 3 TOTAL keepers since June! This was one of the messiest/muddiest shoots of my life, but thankfully there was a hose in the park parking lot. I stripped down to my boxers in the process of cleaning up, so it was quite a show since the place was packed by 10am. Brought towel and change of clothes (and shoes), so I was prepared. I crawled so much I could hardly lift my arms by the time I was done.

The recent LNU fire which burned 363,000 acres west of Sacramento fortunately spared this park, the adjacent 8-lane freeway acting as an effective fire break. The loss of habitat beyond the park is very depressing.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS 1DX2
    1/2000 at f/5.6, ISO 800, handheld
    Processed in LR CC - Cloned out a few higher/rogue flies

Name:  black-neckeds stilt juvi flies 2 092020.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  528.1 KB
    Last edited by Dorian Anderson; 09-21-2020 at 11:07 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty much Perfect. The low angle, EXP, details and with cool algae stuck to leg/ankle and the flies... Well, way over the top IMHO... TFS

ps
    This image alone was worth the trip. Very sorry to hear about the environmental devastation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whoa! Now those are some flies. The low angle is right on. The raised foot is a nice touch. I like the framing with the bird back in the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the POV. Title and leg wrap. How you got him to hold still while you tied it on is beyond me. Yes - fires and cost to everyone (people and wildlife) is just so sad.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian, I lol'd at the shower in boxers. Folks were probably like, wth is this dude doing....

Anyhow, crazy frame with the flies. But tells a story and I dig that.

Where was the focus point on this one? For me, the head just seems a bit soft... maybe it's because there's not much detail in the whites there? The leg and rump feathers look super sharp tho.

Look forward to more. Congrats on the new spot and thank God it was spared by the fires!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the focus hit the leg but great POV, and a very nice environment image.
    Dan Kearl

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian great capture of a young stilt love that leg. and a few flies too. I had some like this with a Phalarope this summer.Great head angle and love all those flies.Sorry about all the fires and losses we are feeling it too but not nearly as bad as you. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the kind words! I hear folks on the head sharpness, but do consider that this is a hatch-year juvenile who still has some downy feathers, especially on his face. It was also impossible to keep the focus point on the bird's ping pong ball-sized head as it darted around, especially while laying prone in 6 inches of sticky mud! Regardless, I did add a bit more facial sharpening to the final version which went onto my website.

Cheers!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Frame. I see what you meant by crawling on the mud.
    I have been doing that recently in places in Utah (My wife is not happy about it).

What is your opinion on the leg position. I was of the view that such leg positions were deletes...

Face is sharp enough for me. Flies looks good.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not sure what's wrong with the legs?!?! Stilts have long, gangly legs and this image shows them perfectly. That the bird is standing in deeper water exaggerates the leg lift and makes for a more unique pose than flat ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post

What is your opinion on the leg position. I was of the view that such leg positions were deletes...

TFS

11. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    I'm not sure what's wrong with the legs?!?! Stilts have long, gangly legs and this image shows them perfectly. That the bird is standing in deeper water exaggerates the leg lift and makes for a more unique pose than flat ground.
    Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful, unique frame of this young stilt. Really captures the essence of the muddy environment. I still don't know how you keep your gear out of the muck.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That leg position is what actually makes this image so fun! Glad the foot cleared the mud line too, and seeing it wrapped with some vegetation is yet another fun element. The flies add a unique element here.