Thread: Short-billed Dowitcher non breeding plumage

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Short-billed Dowitcher non breeding plumage

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot in Nd has been hard getting good light lately from all the smoke in the west. Processed with Dpp 4 and Photoshop. Did remove a few highlights and a bird in the upper left. Most of it was gone after my crop.Have had plenty of opportunities with these guys too many birds maybe thousands to a flock.
    Hard to get birds isolated. Thanks for the comments and critiques.
    Canon 1DX 111
    500f/4 L Is
    Av 6.3
    1/2500
    ISo 1000

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the intimate POV (low and pano) with reflection included as well as the light ripples on subject and the sharp details, Could go a tad brighter on my monitor. TFS

ps
    That topside plumage...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The POV and the ripple as David mention, makes it. For me, it's a tad contrasty and the head looks a bit crunchy Kevin, address this and add a tad of positive Exp and it's a pretty cool shot.

Hope your MKIII sup to date?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My kinda shorebird frame, Kevin. I went out to shoot these yesterday but was so wrapped up wit other birds I didn't get any LBDOs. You did a nice job capturing the reflection here, and you got about as much eye contact as this species is going to given you while in feeding mode (head down all the time, right?). I can kinda see what Steve is saying about the head, but I might not have noticed it if he hadn't mentioned it! So, take that for what its worth. I think the image needs a tiny bit of CW rotation, but I see if anyone else agrees. This is an example where I think the longer, lower crop hurts you. Yeah, the bird is hella low, but the refection adds enough vertical quality to warrant a standard 1.5 x. 1 crop, I think. Right now the bottom-right feels a very empty.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet light! The one bent leg adds interest too. Reflection is OK, and well worth having it all. Yes, the image definitely needs a touch of CW rotation. P.S: The smoke reached us here in Ontario, and one particular day that I was stuck inside working had good light pretty much all day even though "sunny"!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the reflection and the sweet light. The ripples in the water are very nice touch. Framing is right on.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin, in Colorado the smoke has been drowning us. We have had the second worst air quality in the world a few days, next to Bombay or somewhere in India. Have you noticed it affecting photo quality? A couple times every shot was grainy and lacked detail for me.

I think this is a beautiful, albeit moody shot. Super nice overall! The browns and blues work nicely together from bkg to subject.

While it didn't stand out at first, I can see Steve's comments on a touch of crunchiness on the head - particularly compare the neck feathers and just above the eye with the rest of the body.

I agree with Dorian on crop - moving subject right in frame and a bit more up top would likely improve it.

TFS!