Thank You Posts

Default Red Deer

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2
    f/5.6
    1/250
    ISO 1250

I've recently returned from a trip up North where I managed to get real close to Red Deer...I have lots of images, with different exposures and different comps. Being a Bird Photographer, I feel I can't process the same with 'wildlife'....I have posted this image which has been opened in ACR and the only change in RAW was to reduce the auto sharpness to 0....What suggestions would you recommend to make this image better. The BG is seaweed with a grass banken which the Deer were feeding on. Handheld....Thanks in advance...

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice view of this red deer. I like the pose. Maybe more of a square crop would work better.Reduce the highlights and the whites some. Tone curve might held to bring out some depth in the coat. Burn the brighter spots in the background or just remove them.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will I like the shot, composition looks Ok but I think I would like to have seen a littl e more of the forelegs.
    I feel the subject would benefit from a little more presence, I have an alternative for your consideration - WDYT?
    I made a selection of the stag added a little more colour and Clarity and Texture and lowered the Blue colour component. I brushed a little extra clarity and exposure on the eye too.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Will,

Thank you so much for sharing your Red Deer image with us, must have been very special to see this magnificent species!

It is my understanding that no PP work was done on this frame and you are seeking some suggestions on how to improve it. If I may ask, what are your concerns here?

Was the image taken in low light conditions? Looking at your intro I noticed SS is rather low and you were shooting hand held, consequently the subject appears a little soft. DoF looks good though. Some colour casts are present (blue especially) and you will need to look at WB.

Pose is nice and I really like that glance back from the deer, perhaps a lower viewpoint would have benefitted the subject more. The green patch of grass does not add to the image, IMO it is a little distracting.

I would flip this image horizontally, with subject coming in from the RHS. Then a slight crop from both sides, even if I end up with the deer's face in the middle of the frame. Would also reduce the greens a tad.

Do not think I did a great job in terms of colour (don't know about the deer's coat as such, I can only guess?) and I might have been a tad overzealous when sharpening, but this is what I am thinking in terms of comp, some work to be done on the BG too (soften BG, diminish HL from the water)

Chat soon Will, and thank you again for popping in to the wildlife forum As soon as I get a chance I will share an image or two in the avian forum, been away and I need a few days to catch up with work etc

Have a lovely rest of the week,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated...I worked on this photograph a few times, but couldn't' get it how I wanted to see it. So, I thought I would post the original and get some advice....which I am glad I did. Jon's repost is probably as close as to how it was at the time of capture. But, I really like your repost Gabriela....The colours looks so much richer and yes the flip works for me. Before I reduced the sharpening the deer looked a lot sharper, I know the SS was too slow, but I don't think it affected the sharpness.. I did take different shots at different exposure settings... I have a few of this photoshoot...so will post some.

Thanks again

Will

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post