Thread: India's Grey Treepie

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default India's Grey Treepie

Attached Images Attached Images

These birds are very common, as soon as you stop, they just seem to emerge from the bushes, hoping for any tit bits of food from photographers who have stopped for a rest bite in the hunt for the illusive Tiger. On this occasion we have pulled up to listen for alarm calls made by the Sambar deer, hoping to gain direction of where the calls were coming from. With the engine off, all ears were scanning for any sounds as five birds emerged, they just appeared from within the foliage. I know some folk will want to see the feet, but sadly not the case here, as the feet were hidden by the leaves.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Treepie (Dendrocitta formosae)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X MarkII
    Lens: EF100-400 f/4.5 IS II USM
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/8 ISO1000
    Original format: Portrait, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRC 9.3 & PS2020
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, love the colors of the bird, similar to the Robin in this country. I like the image, your post processing as always spot on. I might crop it differently. I tried to see how it would look. A little off the bottom to lessen the out of focus leaf and tighter on the other sides to eliminated some of the vegetation, more like a portrait.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:

Very nice, subtle detail, nice head angle, great eye, well exposed.

The heavy vegetation is a bit distracting, but understandable. I get Joe's point of trying to reduce the foliage impact, but it seems a bit too tight. I would however consider reducing the luminosity of the leaves at the bottom to make them less dominant, and perhaps lighten the top of the head subtley where it is in shadow.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, thanks for the RP, but like Randy I too find it a bit tight, as if the subject is slipping out of frame, but worth a punt.

Hi Randy, I've flipped it so to speak, lost the slight vignette which opens up the top, but darkened the bottom, the issue is that the leaves at the foot are rather ugly and perhaps now, more prominent?

Thanks guys for the input, good to have some new POV.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:

I find your repost to be an improvement. Yes, the lower are leaves are perhaps a bit more distinct (?), but darker color helps them recede a bit visually, at least for me.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I find your repost to be an improvement. Yes, the lower are leaves are perhaps a bit more distinct (?), but darker color helps them recede a bit visually, at least for me.
    Works for me too, Randy.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice details in the shot and I think your original is best nothing one can do about the vegetation.Lighting is sweet especially with the dark background,makes it stand out. TFs

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, the parts we can see looks pretty and processed well. Would love to shoot in India one day.

Looked these guys up and appears they have a notoriously long and beautiful tail. Wish we could see that.

The lighting is dramatic and I like it, but the vegetation definitely detracts IMO.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A pretty neat looking bird. You did well with the light and processing.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Late to this party but I love the light, details, colors and all the leaves except FG OOF one. TFS

ps
    One day ima gonna process images like you... Not soon, though....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks.

One day ima gonna process images like you... Not soon, though....
    David, you can, but folk make it hard. ETTR, fast SS and keeping processing simple and remember, 'less is more'. OK, so perhaps I have 27years of PS under my belt, but seriously just think what needs to be done, how you will do it, and don't deviate by adding the kitchen sink.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looked these guys up and appears they have a notoriously long and beautiful tail. Wish we could see that.
    All in good time Brian, all in good time...