Thread: Great Egret chicks with mom

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Egret chicks with mom

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken at the Venice Rookery on 02/23/16 (happened to be my 83rd birthday). Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 500 F/4L + 2x III telextender, at f/8, 1/400 sec, ISO 1600 o Gitzo tripod and Wimberly head.Aperture priority + 2/3 EV, processed in DPP. Cropped slightly for composition. Comments and critique welcome and appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice birthday present to photograph at the Venice Rookery. I love, and am intrigued by, the interaction and the intimacy of the scene here. The bill peaking in above is a very important part and glad it is there, and same goes for the eye below. Lots of elements to enjoy. The IQ however, has suffered from either a big crop, or over-sharpening of a not-so-critically sharp file, or both.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thats Dan for the critique. I'll check to see if I can find the original file. I don't recall having to crop that much but I will check that out.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fantastic BD gift for you, Jerry. I love that eye below but I also see the hint of the dominant chick's eye. Tech issues are there, but the intimacy of the moment well defined. TFS

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks David for the comments. I am working on the technical issues but always liked this image. Initially, I had to crop the rest of the adult's face because it was covered with leaves but got to like just the beak even more than a full face.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I like the artistry in your composition Jerry, what a grand birthday present for yourself! Thanks for sharing...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you