Thread: Common darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (M)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (M)

Attached Images Attached Images

I set up the perch in the knowledge that sooner or later a Darter could not resist the commanding view it offered over the pond. This one used the perch repeatedly to launch from and to catch prey - you can see the chitinous remains of his previous three meals stacked neatly on the perch.

Olympus E M1X
    Lens focal length : 300 mm
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 601.0mm
    Metering mode : Pattern
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 1250
    Exposure time : 1/3200 sec (Procapture Low)
    F number : F4
    Exposure compensation : -0.3 EV
    Flash : OFF

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, glad to see the garden is now delivering Macro images. Not a fan of the Hazel, hard to tell what it is, could be a large wiggly worm... what's the dark bud? Is there anyway the wings could have more definition, rather than a fuzzy area? I like the backdrop, but the darker, sooty RHS could be improved.

Juggling with some Curves and Luminosity layers I feel you can get some more tonal range, cropping and the loss of the Hazel is just personal.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve thanks for the reply:
    Hazel - sorry it stays, it is the reason the dragonfly is there - that is where he eats his food.
    The dark bud - ? that is the chitinous material I referred to - his previous three meals.
    Definition - wings - yes different images have differing degrees of blur depending on wing position, the wings are slower at the end of the wing beat - I have sharper ones.
    I note the colours you have on the dragonfly, I have to confess they are very appealing but they are a little over the top in terms of saturation compared to the day I took the images, nevertheless I take on board what you have done and future images will have a little more colour but not quite so much as yours.
    Background yes could have been manipulated a little more, I am trying to keep modifications to a minimum because I may end up using some of the images I post and manipulation is permitted according to FIAP rules.
    Thanks again I appreciate your comments - you make me think - no bad thing for an old git!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hazel - sorry it stays, it is the reason the dragonfly is there - that is where he eats his food.
    Isn't there anything more appealing that he is happy to use whilst having his lunch, it's just a bit non-descript ?

The dark bud - ? that is the chitinous material I referred to - his previous three meals.
    I would loose it.

Definition - wings - yes different images have differing degrees of blur depending on wing position, the wings are slower at the end of the wing beat - I have sharper ones.
    I would try faster SS, but still have a little motion blur at the tips, just looks like a pair of Nora Batey's old wooly tights.

I note the colours you have on the dragonfly, I have to confess they are very appealing but they are a little over the top in terms of saturation compared to the day I took the images, nevertheless I take on board what you have done and future images will have a little more colour but not quite so much as yours.
    Subjective Jon, maybe if you were here you might like it?

I am trying to keep modifications to a minimum because I may end up using some of the images I post and manipulation is permitted according to FIAP rules.
    Too much of a straight jacket and run by old fossils Jon, shoot for yourself.

Thanks again I appreciate your comments - you make me think - no bad thing for an old git!
    Me or You?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great. The curve in the perch is very neat. Killer background.