Thread: Greenway's Grub Gobbler...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greenway's Grub Gobbler...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 100-500 RF 1.4xtc @700 F10 1/400 ISO 6400 HH, Manual EXP

Last evening, thanks to a large hurricane Sally feeder band, the western late sun was completely blocked for some low light images. On the Greenway (Broward County bike path network) my friend was spotted once again. Just grubbing while I lay close and try my new glass/body combo at moderately high ISO.
    Last edited by David Roach; 09-15-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I find that the IQ of this image and the previous one are not as good as all the others you have posted with your new rig.
    I like the position of the bird and your low, intimate POV.
    What was your aperture?
    Eye seems a bit blurry.
    Again, not sure why but IQ not as good on this image as the others ? high ISO ? big crop ? your PP?
    Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    I find that the IQ of this image and the previous one are not as good as all the others you have posted with your new rig.
    I like the position of the bird and your low, intimate POV.
    What was your aperture?
    Eye seems a bit blurry.
    Again, not sure why but IQ not as good on this image as the others ? high ISO ? big crop ? your PP?
    Gail
    Thanks so much for your astute observations and eagle eyes, as always. I am still playing with the rig, and normally would take off the TC in these dark conditions. It's not the crop (only slight rotation from FF), but yes to the high ISO and I'm sure I could have gone stronger on the sharpening. There is a very fine and uniform grain on the bird seen better at full resolution. Also could have paid more attention in DPP to noise sliders.
    Once again, thanks for the very valued help.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

To the best of my PP abilities, redid from scratch. The noise seems quite manageable at 6400 ISO but my PP skills are not there yet. AF point right on the cheek next to the eye. Also could be motion as these guys have high frequency movement of the head when foraging deep into soil. Looks like vibration and not sure the shutter speed was high enough. The previous images did not have this condition. Thanks again for the input.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, I like the concept here very much, although having the neck overlapping the leg is a bit unfortunate, although not sure quite what you could have done. The low POV is great and having the head side on is cool!.

The image is to a degree noisy, it needs more NR and also Colour noise addressed, evident to me in the plumage above, f/10 looks good, is this FF or cropped. Topaz I don't think addresses this, but applying NR at the Raw stage will deliver the best results.

Overall just with some simple tweaks the image I feel gets to where you need to be David, although I think you are at the ceiling for the R at ISO6400, likewise I wouldn't push the R5 beyond this and I will suggest you may find you need a tad more SS for the R5 than you expect.

Address:
    - Going a tad cooler on Temp & Tint
    - The colour noise
    - Add some Curves to get some Midtone
    - Overall needs more sharpening
    - Blend some of the BKG and prune the blade of grass that's brighter by the leg

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi David, I like the concept here very much, although having the neck overlapping the leg is a bit unfortunate, although not sure quite what you could have done. The low POV is great and having the head side on is cool!.

The image is to a degree noisy, it needs more NR and also Colour noise addressed, evident to me in the plumage above, f/10 looks good, is this FF or cropped. Topaz I don't think addresses this, but applying NR at the Raw stage will deliver the best results.

Overall just with some simple tweaks the image I feel gets to where you need to be David, although I think you are at the ceiling for the R at ISO6400, likewise I wouldn't push the R5 beyond this and I will suggest you may find you need a tad more SS for the R5 than you expect.

Address:
    - Going a tad cooler on Temp & Tint
    - The colour noise
    - Add some Curves to get some Midtone
    - Overall needs more sharpening
    - Blend some of the BKG and prune the blade of grass that's brighter by the leg

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve for your always valued help. Yes, I am currently trying to determine limits of this glass with this body. I am testing the slower combo first (glass wirh TC). While the IS is very good and as advertised I do realize the subjects movement is the bigger issue and faster shutter speeds should be used. I also need to learn the DPP noise sliders and what the various noise sources look like (luminance, chrominanace, moire etc.) I am actually leaning towards the R6 for this very reason (better high ISO performace than R5 or R). Already have the this 30MP rig higher IQ as long as ISO is kept within acceptable range. All a learning experience. Thanks again and please keep your valued help coming.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, the R6 is a good choice as the results will be better at higher ISO and I doubt you need the video aspect, everything else will be the same. If you are using DPP then yes, getting to grips with NR during the Raw stage is the way to go, so you are not working on a baked Tiff. I thought you were using LR, no worries.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

9. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose is very interesting. The greens are great. Wish for some more room above.

11. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post