Thread: Fallow deer (Dama dama)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fallow deer (Dama dama)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hy, this is a shot of a male fallow deer who was trying to figure out what that crawling thing was. Tech were less than ideal, SS 1/5000 f6,3 ISO 3200 exp comp. +3. PP in DPP 4.12, where i raised the exp by 1.33, set WB at daylight and opened up the highlights by 2 and increased saturation by 1. Under the adjust image color tab I increased the saturation which was set by default at 100 to 135. I thought it had a bit of a blue cast, so I lowered the saturation on blue by 10. In CS 6 I straightned the image with the ruler, I increased the saturation by 12, and in levels I alt-clicked on the black triangle and moved it to the right by 15, to darken the image a little. I duplicated the BG layer then selected the deer with the QST, applied a layer mask to it so that subject was on one layer, BG on another. I ran NI NR on the deer and then on the BG. Resized the image, used SS at 60% and then saved for web. I hope I am not to bothersome with so many PP details, but if I am doing something wrong in PP maybe that can be pointed out more easily.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this fallow deer in the open. Looks pretty stout. The framing and pose are nice. Techs look fine to me. I'm not sure what body you are using though.

3. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dan, thanks for the comprehensive breakdown, sadly not much good on DPP, but what I will say is that when you apply NR it MUST BE at the RAW stage and not after, ie applying it to a Tiff.

I like the fact it's off set and the look to camera, nice POV too, almost at eye level. Not sure about the two trees sandwiching the subject, they could go and perhaps a slight crop crop above and RHS? WB I feel needs a slight tweak based on the BKG colours, but... Ys, for as static subject the SS is a bit high, plus lightening by over a stop was not good, check you histogram constantly Dan.

Dan tweaked the WB, lost the two Rees and added a Curves adjustment, just pulls it in a bit more, WDYT?

TFS
    Steve

PS how is the reading going?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

5. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@Steve- I like your repost colorwise, but the deer looks a bit crunchy now. I might try and crop like you suggested, I left too much dead space around the subject. How exactly did you tweak the wb? I set it at daylight, since it looked pretty much like I remembered and the other presets gave a, hmm, dubious look( and I cant see a neutral grey part in the image). And could you explain the curves adjustment, for now I feel like I am not grasping curves at all (shades of color and tones arent exactly my strongpoint). Can you elaborate on applying NR to RAW and not to TIFF, since Artie and Arash's guide instructs the opposite? The reading is coming along well, finished the book, now just have to re-reread the parts which I feel I can use in my workflow.
    @John -Thank you for your comment. I use a second hand 1DX mkI.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like your repost colorwise, but the deer looks a bit crunchy now.
    That's easy Dan, I can just dial back the opacity on the deer if required.

How exactly did you tweak the wb?
    I just look for a neutral colour and adjust, then take it from there, I think it was LHS just above the yellow.

And could you explain the curves adjustment, for now I feel like I am not grasping curves at all (shades of color and tones arent exactly my strongpoint).
    Mine's more complicated because I use channels and make masks from those, best to keep it simple currently.

Can you elaborate on applying NR to RAW and not to TIFF, since Artie and Arash's guide instructs the opposite?
    Well firstly you will see Raw convertors will have NR available when converter the files because you can manipulate the raw, this is when you apply NR, not after! Once it's converted to a Tiff you have 'baked' the file. I'm surprised you say arash says after, as he created a PDF with NR setting for Canon using DPP? NR must always be used during the Raw conversion for best results, fact.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Steve, I quote from Artie and Arash's guide:"If your Canon DPP 4x RAW conversion has been done correctly, effective noise reduction wil already have been applied....images that were moderately to severely underexposed during capture will benefit from additional NR after the RAW conversion....To perform advanced noise reduction we recommend that you save your file in 16 bit TIFF and open it in PhotoShop." Indeed there is NR in DPP, but in this case the file was underexposed so I followed the guide. Maybe I will apply the NR from DPP while in RAW, bring it in CS6 and compare the 2 files.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, apply in DPP, but my advice is upgrade to PSCC, your files will be better as the software has grown leaps & bounds since CS6 and the adjustments are far more refined. They have changed some names, but they do the same. I remember CS2...