Thread: Just one more, before I go...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Just one more, before I go...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 100-500 RF 1.4xtc @700 f10 1/50 ISO 800

Wakodahatchee and Green Cay wetlands just reopened from Covid shutdown yesterday. Just the most concentrated and varied number of species can usually be seen. After a great morning of birding and testing limits of the new glass, I was leaving when I spotted this beauty down in the water right next to the boardwalk with very nice plumage. Bad spot for image though. So, ran down a ways on the boardwalk, lowered camera as low as I could over the railings and used the display to focus (I hate doing that, but the swivel does help). I tried a stupid shutter speed and did not raise ISO as the rig seemed to be getting sharp images in my IS testing (but hadn't tried anything as low as 1/50) when birds were still. It was just at the end of good light but this beauty was mostly in the shade. The eye reflection is light coming through slats of boardwalk.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely pose....I like the detail on the neck of the bird. I'm seeing a wee bit motion blur on the bill and the front head area...anymore frames..

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Lovely pose....I like the detail on the neck of the bird. I'm seeing a wee bit motion blur on the bill and the front head area...anymore frames..

Will
    Yes, William this bird was foraging and every time the head began to come upright, I'd hit the trigger for a few frames. This was the most stable from a dozen images and certainly has some motion at 1/50. I had other tests down to about 1/100 on actual static subjects that looked quite sharp. Playing with new toy to learn limits but trying to get motion stop at 1/50 for an active bird is challenging. Thanks for your always valued help, my friend.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The neck looks sharper than the head. But for 1/50 hand held not bad. The painterly background is quite nice.

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one a lot David...definitely a colourful bird!. Agree with the other comments. Maybe sharper without the TC?

7. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi David, agree w comments above and there seems to be a slight magenta cast on those grays, which can be tricky at times for this species...

9. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post