Thread: Red Rocket

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Rocket

Name:  20200828-Hummingbird-Broadtail-RED-Brian-Sump_BMS2872-FORUM-SIG-USM57_.3.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  573.7 KB

Hummers were in abundance this summer in Colorado. Pleased to catch this one in my own backyard.

There is one tiny detail in particular which can give away this species (young Broadtail male). Can you see it?

D850
    600mm + 1.4x
    Handheld
    ISO 1250
    1/1000
    f6.3

LR and PS.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's one **** of a corker Brian, love it, probably your best! Love the colours, position and detail, having the wings blurred really draws the viewer ti that head & pointy beak, very well done.

However... and I hate to ask, but have you done some work around the perch, there are some artifacts about half way down on both sides of the tip? I would rework it if you have and scale to say 200% and work on a separate layer.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    That's one **** of a corker Brian, love it, probably your best! Love the colours, position and detail, having the wings blurred really draws the viewer ti that head & pointy beak, very well done.

However... and I hate to ask, but have you done some work around the perch, there are some artifacts about half way down on both sides of the tip? I would rework it if you have and scale to say 200% and work on a separate layer.

TFS
    Steve
    Hey Steve, You have a really good eye. It took me five minutes of staring to see what you were talking about ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer good. Super sharp with a sublime BKGR. My very favorite part of the image is the single tiny purple gorget feather!

with love, a

ps: did you see what Steve is talking about?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer. It's all about the background. I also see what Steve is talking about. Curious what you were changing/removing.

Pink feather on throat eliminates Rufous what would be a vagrant Allen's in your home CO......
    Last edited by Dorian Anderson; 09-04-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dangit, I'm a stickler for that stuff too. There is a circular shaped hair that is in the raw file, but the darker section is just masking remnant from feathering. I brought the brightness of the spruce down but spaced cleaning that up :-/

Bummer it takes away from the photo but that's why I love you guys (eagle-eye Steve). Hope it doesn't take away from everyone being able to enjoy it.

Dorian - I've never heard of an Allen's here. I was 99% sure it's a young male Broadtail as they start the ruby throat the same way. He hangs around often and I have other shots showing the super long tail, but could be wrong.
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 09-04-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Allen's is a West Coast species which is very similar to Rufous in immature and female plumages. They will wander east at times, but you generally need not worry about separating it from either Rufous or Broad-tailed where you are. I only
    included it because the pink throat feather rules it definitively out, as it does Rufous. Yours is a Broad-tailed as you stated!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Dangit, I'm a stickler for that stuff too. There is a circular shaped hair that is in the raw file, but the darker section is just masking remnant from feathering. I brought the brightness of the spruce down but spaced cleaning that up :-/

Bummer it takes away from the photo but that's why I love you guys (eagle-eye Steve). Hope it doesn't take away from everyone being able to enjoy it.

Dorian - I've never heard of an Allen's here. I was 99% sure it's a young male Broadtail as they start the ruby throat the same way. He hangs around often and I have other shots showing the super long tail, but could be wrong.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Allen's is a West Coast species which is very similar to Rufous in immature and female plumages. They will wander east at times, but you generally need not worry about separating it from either Rufous or Broad-tailed where you are. I only
    included it because the pink throat feather rules it definitively out, as it does Rufous. Yours is a Broad-tailed as you stated!
    Ah copy, thanks for the insight!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Colors. With out a question on of your best shot...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, it was with great reluctance that I mentioned it, as this is a really super image. But, I do feel it would be wrong not to have mentioned it. It should be relatively easy to address, but sometimes it can be hard to blend some backgrounds and to leave the elements in, may prove the better option. Like Dorian, what was the reason Brian?

Less ‘Eagle eyed’ this time, it just hit me straight away. ��

Brian, if you have the R5 on order and based on this posting, I think we are going to be in for some real treats! My on bit of advice with the R5 is perhaps go for a slightly great SS than you are used too and ensure you do shoot ETTR for signal to noise ratio.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian: Only one word for this one: AWESOME! Love everything...one of the best Hummers I've seen anywhere. Congrats!
    Took me a while to see the artifacts. One thing that sort of bugs me though (and it's a minor nitpic) is the angle of the bird's claw on our left...looks like it was added to the perch. Don't get me wrong...I'd be happy to have this one hanging on my wall.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm way late to this party, so I'll just add simply sublime. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Well done Brian, it is a treat to view, beauty... BTW, were you a Canon shooter and moved to Nikon? I was, and now am eyein the R5... send me a pm so we can discuss!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Brian: Only one word for this one: AWESOME! Love everything...one of the best Hummers I've seen anywhere. Congrats!
    Took me a while to see the artifacts. One thing that sort of bugs me though (and it's a minor nitpic) is the angle of the bird's claw on our left...looks like it was added to the perch. Don't get me wrong...I'd be happy to have this one hanging on my wall.
    Haha, not much I can do about the foot as that's how God made him :-)

Thanks for the kind words Paul

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    I'm way late to this party, so I'll just add simply sublime. TFS
    Thanks a ton David!

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Well done Brian, it is a treat to view, beauty... BTW, were you a Canon shooter and moved to Nikon? I was, and now am eyein the R5... send me a pm so we can discuss!
    Thank you Ann! No I started with Nikon. Will send you PM

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian.....That's a beauty...There's not a lot more I can add to what's already been said...Love it, and very well done.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Hi Brian.....That's a beauty...There's not a lot more I can add to what's already been said...Love it, and very well done.

Will
    Thousand thanks Will!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful frame. Love the color through out from the bird to the background. Well done.