Thread: DSLR vs Mirrorless

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default DSLR vs Mirrorless

I am very new to photography, I have an old Nikon DSLR, I am tempted with lightweight mirrorless cameras. Should I go ahead and buy Sony or I should stick to Nikon DSLR?

I loved my DSLR, appreciate for any comments.

Thanks
    Faizal

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Faizal!

Right now, if you can afford it, I would go with the Sony as mirrorless is the way of the future, and with the "big names" in DSLRs now focusing most of their attention developing technologies in that area. My beloved Canon 7DII is getting long in the tooth, and I was looking at DSLR / mirrorless options of late. A couple of months ago I was still hoping for a new 7D-series DSLR release from Canon (as I do not want to switch brands right now), and was even contemplating getting a used 1DX-series, but with Canon's newly released R5 and R6 mirrorless cameras I'm all-in mirrorless as my next camera. Sony is still pretty much the leaders there, but Canon has all but caught up, and Nikon not too far behind, but all out-perform most DSLRs as far as AF goes, and all the other advantages that come with ML.

3. Thanks Faizal AliMir thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good to see you joining here. As I mentioned this is a great place to learn photography.

Don’t be shy start looking and learning from images here in other forums.

Depending on genre mirrorless might be the way. Don’t get too caught up on the brand.

There are only two things to keep in mind. First budget and second what kind of images you want to make.

5. Thanks Faizal AliMir thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Faizal one common misunderstanding about MLIC is weight. If you are serious about bird photography you need a 500 or 600mm lens, the weight of such lenses is the same whether it is made for mirrorless camera or DSLR. the MILC camera body is a bit lighter but it is an insignificant factor compared to the weight of a 600mm or 500mm f/4. if you want the lightest highest performing rigs your choice is Sony since they have the lightest 600mm lens currently on the market. If you want the lightest birding camera and can live with a shorter/slower lens get a D500 and a 500PF, that is the lightest overall rig available today.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 11-11-2020 at 01:45 AM.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog