Thread: White-tail buck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-tail buck

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 8/7/20 at 7:36AM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Canon 500 f/4 IS USM
    ISO 3200
    f5.6
    1/320sec

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the frame filling presentation and the colours. Whilst I appreciate the mist I would have been tempted to draw out a little more detail in the buck.

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John -- These misty scenes are difficult to make, especially when it is concerned with details and form, not sure how much one should go for it. If you retain the mist then mid tones look flat and getting more mid tones looses the misty feel, so it is a tricky situation , I guess it is more of an individual's call.

I liked the framing and the feel to it , and as mentioned above a bit more detail in the buck would make it even better.

TFS !

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not a fan of the too-much-mist in this image and the dark clump lower center. The framing is spot on.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John, if the image was capture in ETTR then the Raw should look minimal and flat, almost monochromatic perhaps and this would also help with any noise gained by the higher ISO? If you again, get the WB equal and you know how with LR, this will give you a good cornerstone to build on. As soon as you do this and with some Curves adjustments suddenly the image takes on a much great appearance where you can then hone it to what your memory recollects, or how you wish to portray it to the viewer. To me it's way to warm for a misty morning and so it needs to go cooler on the temp. I also used negative Dehaze to 'soften' the whole image in terms of Contrast to help added to a bit more of a misty mood setting??????

As mentioned in the feedback above, framing works bit the dark clump of foliage needs to be removed.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.