Thread: Golden jackal (Canis aureus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Golden jackal (Canis aureus)

Attached Images Attached Images

I am unsure if I have posted this particular image, I know I posted one similar bu the jackal was pointing in the opposite direction, this is a rework in any event. I used a different Camera Profile to start and I also used Topaz Denoise on two layers and blended (I also used a little masking in the Topaz programme).

Image hand held taken at knee height

Olympus E-M1X
    Lens focal length : 420 mm
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 841.0mm
    Metering mode : Pattern
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 6400
    Exposure time : 1/500 sec
    F number : F5.6
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Flash : OFF

ACR/Topaz DN AI/PSCC

I am curious to see what you think, I think it's a big improvement on my initial image.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I also used Topaz Denoise on two layers and blended (I also used a little masking in the Topaz programme).
    In the RAW stage Jon and not as a Tiff?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    In the RAW stage Jon and not as a Tiff?
    Well I suppose once the file is presented to PS it is a TIFF even if not saved as a TIFF or PSD? The raw file was sent to PSCC, unsaved and subsequently treated with Topaz on two different layers, after this I merged the layers so the subject only recieved a little sharpening. At this point I then made a smart layer and went back to ACR to do a little local adjustment to the eyes. Then resized and sharpened and SfW.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, overall the image does seem to have a green tinge to it and the FG vegetation is beginning to posterise. The whites blend into the overall colour which is a shame, but this can be retrieved. For me, the NR is heavy, creating a very super smooth backdrop, but going to ISO6400 for this camera is perhaps not ideal, but I guess this was early days...

The framing works and I like the inquisitive look.

Jon the RP is not ideal as I'm trying to get some colour separation based on the OP rather than the Raw, but...

If it helps to talk, call me.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon do you use AI clear? I like this I don't know the subject ,looking at the two edits it does look a tad green. i'd personally also like a smidge more at the base Jon ,just a few mm. Beyond that a wonderful encounter and memory caught

TFS

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well I suppose once the file is presented to PS it is a TIFF
    Correct Jon, therefore all workings will be on a 16bit rather than Raw, so NR is applied to a baked Tiff and so works with a limited capacity. Scooting elements back to ACR as a SO will still be a Tiff.

Jon do you use AI clear?
    Not sure if anyone has suggested you use AI clear, but I would keep well clear Stu of AI clear you might get taken down a path you may wish, not to go down. Also if you are using 'Auto' then peg all % amounts back, you need to do it by eye to retain detail. However, as I said to Jon, you must use this plug-in at the raw stage, not on the Tiff.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu I have used AI Clear but usually go for DN AI, the Clear tends to overcook but on certain occasions it seems ok.
    Steve yes I like your version, it looks better, now I look again I can see a little too much green in mine. I suspect you have lowered some contrast too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

now I look again I can see a little too much green in mine. I suspect you have lowered some contrast too.
    Contrast is a given Jon, bat also tweaked the WB and got a better adjustment through calibration too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Contrast is a given Jon, bat also tweaked the WB and got a better adjustment through calibration too.
    Gotcha - thanks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice alert pose from the jackal. The setting is quite nice as well. Image quality looks quite good.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- I really liked the image, especially the framing with that low POV. Steve's RP is much more pleasing in terms of colours and details.

I certainly liked the image inspite of its flaws as mentioned above , but those are subjective.

TFS !