Thread: Borwn hare UK L europeas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Borwn hare UK L europeas

Attached Images Attached Images

We did manage to get to our hare spot,just once so far, I'm hoping we might get another chance but as the shooting season gets nearer chances are proving hard to come by. The land also has a good roe population, so the buck season is ongoing making it difficult to tie in a day when I'm freee and nothing is happening on the estate.

Not being on the ground is hard ,so we spent a good while checking out the land. i'm slowly learning to trust my gut instincts, I don't know where it comes from ,but I get these feelings go there or here and I might get an image . This is what happened here, I knew there was going to be a hare on this track so set off with my lady to check it out. Shaz has a form of arthritis, so making her walk another 100 yards was a big ask and naturally, when we got to the brow of the hill there was nothing there. I felt awful,we turned and started to retrace steps, me apologising as I knew she was suffering. I had to look back and sure enough there was my hare,we both froze mid stride and the hare came. It dissappeared behind the lee of the bank and we both hit the deck. Sadly the hare came very fast,it was one of the best chances i've ever had of a hare down the barrel at speed ,but I was too slow, which was a shame.

Hey ho I did get a few frames and this is one of the earlier ones

NO CROP 1/2000 f8 ISO 1600 1DX mark ii 400DOii 1.4 ext iii @ 560mm Shot on a beautiful summer day but a big old cloud has rolled in and acted as a lovely diffuser for the light which i'm not far from shooting against It's around 4:30 in the afternoon I'm lying on the ground hand holding

Many thanks for the kind words on my last post

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Stuart, you caught a nice posture of the hare, he looks like he's about to dart away. To me it looks a bit oversharpened, when you compare the first half of his body to the second. I like the way the color of the BG compliments the subject. I like the way you composed the picture, to me the OOF grass blades tell me about its enviroment. Hares are funny characters, I was shooting a few maybe 3-4 years ago and one decided to give me a lesson. He came really close to me, like 2 m, and started hopping around me and I was trying to spin in rithm with him, struggling to fit him into the frame with the 1-4 mk II. After a few spins he hopped away quite relaxed:)

3. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a beauty Stu, I love the pose and eye contact, the settings are also very pleasing. The limited DOF works very well from my POV.
    I agree the fur looks a tad oversharpened to me, also I guess this is sandy soil so there will be quite a bit of orange and maybe in his fur as well as the surroundings......but maybe lower orange a little bit????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon Dan thanks both fair comment on the sharps , I wasn't terribly comfortable, I'm as sure as I can be the file is sharp, just not just comfortable with how I sharpen in different sizes. Dan I'm really slow with post, it's how I'm made . thanks for the honesty guys. Jon I think it might be a tad warm rather than orange. buddy you are correct there is a colour to both the soil and the wold hares. But I have half a hunch it's not that....... I also shot fella in portrait he stayed a while and did a different edit where I took WB of the grey atop tail, not visible here. WB start point is too warm Jon?? I think it's that'

Dan hare's don't fear us if we present ourselves in certain ways . I take a pragmatic approach , they see me first, so I move slow and low.... give them time and don't scare them. Then yes they come to see you...your lesson can be repeated. The hard bit is learning how to do it often ,but always the slower the more chance of success

Dan, they are very curious,you understand them by their ears not eyes,

thanks both

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiul view of this hare. Love the pose and the setting. The color looks good to me. That diffused light brang out the detail nicely. Framings looks good for being full frame.

7. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, this is looking really nice, techs look spot on and even at f/8 you can get a nice bokeh. Perhaps a bit more at the foot and I personally may have cloned the white blobs just for consistency and nothing to draw the eye. The low POV is perfect and I like the alert ears and HA. yes, you fine tickle the image, a tad less USM, the black area in the BKG, the white blobs, but overall I think you have nailed it with some nice PP too.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu, I love this image for all of the positives noted above, especially the look on the hare's face. In know way does the fur look over-sharpened and the color looks great as well.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: agree on losing the two whites fluffs ...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Stu, I am loving this, so pretty and so cute! Love the pose. And those whiskers. Colours and tonality look great, this is nice and sharp, your patience paid off and this is well processed, Buddy

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea