Thread: Not Quite Itsy-Bitsy ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Not Quite Itsy-Bitsy ...

Attached Images Attached Images

Green Lynx Spider on Grassleaf Barbara’s Buttons (Marshallia graminifolia) blossom

This image was created on the morning of 11 JULY 2020 at Indian Lake Estates. With the Induro GIT 404L/FlexShooter Pro-mounted Venus Optics Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO Lens for Sony E and the 61MP monster, the Sony Alpha a7R IV Mirrorless Digital camera body ISO 800: 1/30 sec. at f/? (probably f/8) in Manual mode. The exposure was confirmed as perfect by RawDigger from a series of bracketed images. AWB at 8:10am early on a still, partly sunny morning.

Manual focus using the combination of Manual Focus Toggle and Focus Magnifier tips from the SONY e-guide along with the 2-second timer. Plamped in place to combat the breeze.

There is no way to note the aperture after the fact with this lens.

Learn a bit more about the creation of this image and see a second version in the blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and appreciated.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie it's great to see you posting here it's been some time!

Colours sharpness - all spot on, very clean image.
    You mention bracketing - I think you are referring to exposure bracketing as opposed to focus bracketing? I cant' hep but feel if this had been focus bracketed it would have been even better, say start at the nearest leg then work forwards to the most distant leg. A really interesting subject - love to see some more!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

By bracketing I was referring to the exposures. Focus stacking is far behind me for many reasons.

with love, artie

ps: as with birds I focused on the eyes and **** the d-o-f :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a cool, colorful spider! Sharpness is excellent within your DOF and the exposure is spot on - I would just wish the DOF was greater to get more of the spider in focus. With a 61mp camera, you could increase DOF by moving a little farther away from your subject - and still have a ton of pixels to work with after cropping to get the same comp.

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well one thing is for sure. That is the neatest looking spider i have ever seen. Sharp where it matters. The colors are great.

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Well one thing is for sure. That is the neatest looking spider i have ever seen. Sharp where it matters. The colors are great.
    Thanks, John. With that big head, it looks like a spider X grasshopper hybrid. I was a big one this morning but it was too windy :(

with love, artie

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great looking spider. Sharpness is excellent where needed. Agree with others with dof, but the image still looks pretty crisp.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it as presented and do wish we had these spiders in Ontario....one of my favorite species. I am shooting most of my macro insects around f16 or f22 with the Laowa and tend to use the same approach as you....focus on the eyes and let the rest fall where it may :)