Thread: Just gliding by...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Just gliding by...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 70-200 @200 f4 1/4000 ISO 800 HH, Manual EXP

Going stir crazy while trying to stay safe, decided to try a local fishing pier hoping it wouldn't be crowded on a week night. There was a smattering of people fishing with plenty of room to keep social distance and surprisingly masks were used by just about all. I spent a wonderful couple of end day hours just taking in the sea breeze. On this evening the western sky was clear and the usual colors were reflected in the eastern sky. I wanted to try my first telephoto range RF glass for flight images even though the EOS R, with terrible EVF blackout, can make it difficult. Well, even with the fishers pulling in plenty, no gulls, no terns, not even pelicans on this evening (within range of my 200mm zoom). Only comical molting boat tail grackles trying to steal everyone's bait. Then, about 15 minutes before sunset with wonderful clouds to the east, this lone young laughing gull glided closely by. A small cherry on top of a wonderful evening...

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sond like the sort of evening I would enjoy too!. Details and tones on the bird look good. the sky is fine though I find it optically a little bright but this could be because my study is dimly lit.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I feel that it is over exposed slightly. Nice BG, If you have the canvas, I would move the bird just left of centre. Less exposure I'm sure would bring out more detail on that lovely fanned tail.

Will

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David: Very nice indeed. Looks like a blown out area on the tail, but I like the high key BG. The pier I go to 15 mins from my house sounds similar to the one you describe...quite a few fisher-people (lol...to be politically correct) there...all being aware of social distancing. As you say, it's a nice place to spend a few afternoon hours at. Cheers.

7. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Works well small in the frame. I like the position of the bird in the frame. Love the high key.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Sond like the sort of evening I would enjoy too!. Details and tones on the bird look good. the sky is fine though I find it optically a little bright but this could be because my study is dimly lit.
    Thank you everyone for your valued comments as always. My spyder 5 pro always makes me pull down brightness due to the ambient light at my station and I just calibrated before processing this image. The original looks good to me on my fresh calibration and with my screen and ambiant light but to all who needed sunglasses to view I pulled it slightly further down from ETTR. Hopefully that helps.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, I like the gull, love the background. I think the repost is better bringing out the tones in the background. If mine I might try rotating the gull counter clockwise it appears to be flying down but maybe that is how it was. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

11. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post