Thank You Posts

Default Misty Morning Catch

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2
    f/4
    1/1600
    ISO 3200

I captured this one just as daylight was breaking through. The temp had dropped to just above freezing, which caused mist to hover above the water surface, making the light brighter towards the top of the frame. This fish had pulled the bird under the water, but after a struggle, the Osprey managed to get the wings beating.....Apart from not seeing the bird until it was about to strike, the mist, I thought, would cause further problems when locking on, but when this lens is bare, it sure does the business.

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sublime canvas, just sublime. The sense of action seemingly magnified by the mist and the heft of the prey. Everything tack sharp but the motion enhanced blur of those water filled wingtips. The droplets and the misty back drop add to the drama. This is a rare opportunity and you were up to the task, my friend... TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What fun to have seen and captured this, at the absolutely perfect moment when the fish's head just cleared the surface. I love the misty feeling of this, which matches your description well. If mine I would be tempted to try a 35% NIK Tonal Contrast on bird and fish, just to see what it does. But it might spoil the mood that you have captured so nicely.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that David, Much appreciated. I tried the tonal contrast at 35% Bill, I thought it looked a wee bit too contrasty, so reduced the opacity by 50%

Name:  AY2I5644.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  574.7 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. Just a bit more zing, while retaining that gorgeous misty mood.

6. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Liking this a lot!! Great mood. I just wish for less noise on the fish (maybe a Speckled Trout ha ha - sorry for that bad pun), but this is quite a striking frame. What a great place to spend a few mornings at!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fine image Will. It has a very unique feel to it. The mist really gives a foundation for the setting. Like the position of wonderful fish and the water splashing. I would be careful making any changes you may loose the mood of the frame.
    Robert Kimbrell

9. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Liking this a lot!! Great mood. I just wish for less noise on the fish (maybe a Speckled Trout ha ha - sorry for that bad pun), but this is quite a striking frame. What a great place to spend a few mornings at!
    Thanks Dan...Rainbow Trout, introduced to Scotland from America....Natural colouring Unfortunately the Ospreys migrate to Africa soon, so will have to wait until next year....On the plus side the Red Kite feeding station is open again after the virus

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

"Play Misty for me...", do you know that classic and i am indeed "dating myself! I love this Will, it definitely evokes that magical mysterious unveiling of nature before the sun clears things. I also love the fish position, the splash, and the motion wing tips... Easy to love. Yaaay bring on the kites i say and i only wish it wasn't such a long commute, oh yeah and if us Americans are ever welcomed abroad... Stay safe.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, as mentioned impeccable timing here. Yeah a bit grainy in spots (also no pun) but it's misty so you can probably get away with a little bit in this one.

I'm one for the repost personally, adds a good bit of drama which is great. Clarity in the key areas and wing position are fantastic!

Interesting how the brown areas in the bkg blotched up a bit on the right side, I've not seen that before.

Super shot, well done!

13. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    "Play Misty for me...", do you know that classic and i am indeed "dating myself! I love this Will, it definitely evokes that magical mysterious unveiling of nature before the sun clears things. I also love the fish position, the splash, and the motion wing tips... Easy to love. Yaaay bring on the kites i say and i only wish it wasn't such a long commute, oh yeah and if us Americans are ever welcomed abroad... Stay safe.
    Thanks Ann....Yes, I sure know that classic...Yer welcome to Scotland anytime ....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the mist/fog. It gives a nice mood to the image. Framing is right on for me. That fish looks like it wants to go back in that water.

16. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the misty feel in this one Will, adds so much extra interest to the shot. Your OP works really well for me, great timing, a consideration for the wall I'd say

Mike

18. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An amazing capture under the conditions you were working in, William. What a moment it must have been, and then to see this remarkable result. I prefer the original post.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

20. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it a lot. The Bg just makes the osprey stand out, the blurred wingtips suggests motion, and you can almost hear the fish scream:) To me it seems the eye of the osprey is a bit too vivid, when compared with the color of the rest of his body. Oh boy, he's got some impressive talons.

22. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post