Thread: Ring-necked Pheasant (Juvenile)

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ring-necked Pheasant (Juvenile)

Attached Images Attached Images

I've been having great luck with encounters of friendly Ring-necked Pheasant families out in the open at a local grassland preserve. I had gone there the other day still looking for, again recently sighted Blue Grosbeak, with no luck. As I was about to head out an Indigo Bunting called out just behind me. He was not perched for long, but as I moved up the path I saw a family of at least seven youngsters and Mom dining together. They let me slowly walk along behind them at times within fifteen feet away. Was also treated to a White-tailed deer buck crossing the path not far from me. Captured this image in early evening. C&C welcome.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 600mm, 1/640s, f/6.3, HH, ISO 1600.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoffrey, this was a nice treat for you. It's frustrating sometimes hunting one thing and coming up empty but at least you got a cool encounter and a nice frame!

You did pretty well to expose this one despite it being a little backlit and you controlled motion blur well considering a 1/640 SS. Nice job.

Love the vegetation here and the longer grasses under and behind help frame the Pheasant. Maybe pushing the cropping limit at the top a hair for my taste, but heck I'd take it as is too.

TFS!

PS - I have had good luck with audio lately on the small songbirds. Do you use it?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great encounter, and nice look at this juvie with his walking pose. You handled the backlighting well. I wonder if using Curves to lift the mid-tones might help?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like a wonderful day. Love the EXP, rim light and slight motion in the foot. Intimate POV puts it over the top IMHO. TFS

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Brian, Bill, and David. Brian, on occasion, and Bill thanks for the suggestion.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat to see this juvenile. Sounds like a treat to photograph the family. Nice and sharp with good detail.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John.

Geoffrey