Thread: Look ma...one hand!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Look ma...one hand!

Attached Images Attached Images

Despite the high wind and feeling very cold, I had some luck at my favourite Osprey spot.

Nikon D500, 500mm PF, 1/3200th sec, f6.3, iso1250, manual mode, HH. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, really like this capture. You're getting nice details with the D500 and the PF and the talon through the fish eye is on point!

Having the blue water bkg is just better all around than blue sky, at least for me. The look in the Osprey's eye I love as well.

Might be a tad of canvas add remnant below the right wing in the form of a horizontal line? If you had any more at the left edge as well that could help.

Nicely done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian. You have a very keen eye! I had to add canvas at the bottom and thought I'd cloned the horizontal lines out...just missed that one! I'll go back and fix it. Thanks for your scrutiny. Cheers. I agree regarding the blue skies. Thanks again. Cheers.

Update: Worked better after adding canvas using content aware fill!
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 08-11-2020 at 01:26 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are killing it with that new rig, my man. And this was slightly challenging light. Can't wait for more... TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

PauL;

Dynamic capture, good angle in the frame, good pick up by Brian re: canvas extension edge under the wing tip.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You got this one perfectly Paul .I agree with the extension suggestion .Well done

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Paul...I like the pose and the fish, wished we had fish like that over here.....It shows how much more a lens and camera can make...It will want you to go out even more now

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your new gear is really working well for you!
    Nice and sharp and the fish is a great bonus.
    Well done,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all so much...your feedback is very much appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Paul, I've been watching your transformation with your new rig, waaay to go, this is wonderful, you must be so happy. congrats to you, i share the same and it does not disappoint when the ISO is under 1600... Looking forward to more. vey nice exposure and sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann. Lovely to get your feedback (I've really admired your photos for a while now). Yes, I think I've found my ideal setup. Must admit though that the Canon R6 af tracking/eye af is very impressive from what I've seen, and with an adapter I could use my Canon 100-400. I'll keep my Canon gear just in case I come into money...lol
    Ken Rockwell's review of the D500 contains images shot at really high iso levels and look very good to me at iso 25,600 and above up to around 50,000.. Not sure how birds would look though. I do know that if the exposure is good then high iso levels do not show that much noise. What are your thoughts? Cheers. P

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, very vell done... !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Volkan.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great view of the osprey and the fish. Nice and sharp as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

this is awesome Paul, tack sharp with good details and the fish is awesome, I don't mind the side light as much since osprey's eye is perfectly lit and the angle of the fish is great too. The IQ in this one is great and really high as it should be, compared to old 7D which were mostly deletes IMO. glad you finally got a descent camera and lens and sub-par gear is no longer holding you back from capturing the moments as you see them. I hope you now understand why I told you the 7D was a waste of your time and effort, go dump that camera in the trash now ;) JK you might still get something for it...

TFS and looking froward to your images
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the kind feedback John.
    Arash: Really appreciate the kind feedback...really enjoying the gear, despite the time it took me to finally decide on the Nikon combo, and yes, I do understand why you said what you said about the 7Dii. My only decision now is whether to keep the 100-400ii lens and pair it with a used 1DX or similar, or ditch both the 7Dii/100-400 for a Nikon zoom maybe the 200-500?. Thoughts? (and I promise I won't burden you with lots of questions . Cheers.
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 08-13-2020 at 03:33 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Thank you for the kind feedback John.
    Arash: Really appreciate the kind feedback...really enjoying the gear, despite the time it took me to finally decide on the Nikon combo, and yes, I do understand why you said what you said about the 7Dii. My only decision now is whether to keep the 100-400ii lens and pair it with a used 1DX or similar, or ditch both the 7Dii/100-400 for a Nikon zoom maybe the 200-500?. Thoughts? (and I promise I won't burden you with lots of questions . Cheers.
    hey Paul I’d ditch the Canon the 1DX AF is nowhere as good as your d500. It will disappoint you. Canon is moving to mirrorless and soon their long EF lenses will be almost worthless on the market because the lousy AF in their DSLR cameras. Just cash it out and hold on to the money for the next purchase or trip

best
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite excellent. Next time have the fish curl its body toward you! Keep them coming.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Food for thought? Where would Dan Cadieux be without his 7d II?

with love, a

ps: I know that he does not do a lot of flight. That said, he is a damned good photographer and that was true when he used the 7D and the old 100-400 ...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie...I have taken quite a few more Ospreys with fish photos...the chicks have hatched and so there is a lot more "action" over the water recently. I agree regarding Dan's abilities. Where he'd be without his 7Dii? Taking great shots with whatever camera he has I guess. Cheers guru.

21. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post