Thread: Red-throated Diver

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-throated Diver

Attached Images Attached Images

One more from Iceland in 2016. I'm sure this would be an Insta-Delete for many of you. But it reminds me of a wonderful half-hour spent watching a beautiful pair of Red-throated Divers and their chicks swimming around in a small pond in lovely late Icelandic light (10:30 PM). The birds were a bit wary and kept just out of good distance for my gear, but would occasionally come close enough. This guy started his wing flap with a good head angle, but as he proceeded into a fully raised wing position he rotated just enough to rob me of a perfect HA. Still, I'll keep it until I can either find that little pond again or Topaz perfects their HA Rotation AI software.

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 1250, 1/2000s @ f/7.1 manual. Small crop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill:

For most of us, our photos have value because of the memories associated with them. So, I certainly would keep this one too. As a person who likes loons a little bit, I always appreciate seeing them, esp. the less common species.

Other than the HA, all the other components of the image work well.

Thanks for sharing. Will have to keep Iceland in my bucket list!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, that light

Such a gorgeous capture. As shared from the Lord of the Loons above, a touch more HA would be sweet but easier to ignore with this wing position.

A guy could choose to clone some of the muck in the water just in front of the breast I suppose. Also an option would be to bump the subject up in the frame a touch.

A beauty overall. If I ever go to Iceland it would certainly bode well for you to be there also :-)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Light is good. Background is ok. Head Angle is not that great. This image for me is a keeper untill I get a better version.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bill, Would be a keeper for me also. Every thing look great except the HA. Very nice light.
    Robert Kimbrell

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well kept!

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Montagu View Post

Thanks Geoffrey. When I took this, you were perched just to my left on the shore of the pond, and posted an almost identical shot shortly after the trip. I didn't want to post mine right after you, but I figured four years was long enough to wait.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Thanks Geoffrey. When I took this, you were perched just to my left on the shore of the pond, and posted an almost identical shot shortly after the trip. I didn't want to post mine right after you, but I figured four years was long enough to wait.

Thank you for the ultimate gesture, Bill and let me express my gratitude by saying, you must not wait this long in the future to post nearly identical images to mine, of this outstanding quality. Maybe three years?

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

AH yes a fond memory indeed. The light sure is sweet. I like the framing and the low angle.