Thread: Tawny owl

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tawny owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Meant to post this yesterday as it was International Owl Day, oh well...

This is in fact less than a quarter of a mile away from the Little owl site, but also this was the location I first started to photograph Little owls, so it seems a good residency. The old tree has many entrances & exits, so you can spend hours waiting and the owls just come in via the back door without and sound. The entrance sits about 25-30ft up so I had to make a hole in the hawthorn hedge to get the lens through, and shoot up, but left it a few days to let things settle down.

This was one of the first frames of the Tawny after several days and hours of waiting and thinking the afternoon light would be great, but it sadly worked the opposite.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Tawny owl (Strix aluco)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III Gitzo tripod & Flexline ball head pro
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/7.1 ISO4000
    Original format: Portrait, very slight crop top, FF width
    Processed via: LRC 9.3 & PS2020

Bag hide, shot Mirrorless
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Mod, delete if you feel this is not helpful, but just to give you folk an indication of the location and shooting distance, shot from iPhone.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:

Well the long focal length helped negate the upward perspective well. The shape of the hole works well with the birds curves. I might do just a bit more tinkering with the contrast, appears a bit flat on my laptop.

Hope you had a chair or some support if you spent that much time waiting!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the framing and details for both tree and owl. Worth the wait, I'd say... TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Randy for your feedback, much appreciated.

I might do just a bit more tinkering with the contrast, appears a bit flat on my laptop.
    Now may I ask, because it may shed some light on perception of contrast & saturation, are you using an iMac as a monitor and is it 'glossy' in appearance? If so then I think this is where we all become divided more so in what we see, as my monitors are Eizo with hoods to deflect light and have, - shall we say, a more of an 'anti glare' to the screen, so it's more 'matt' in the appearance to images. This is also why I think some folk push black & contrast because the screen provides a more likeable look, just curious and posing a thought.

Hope you had a chair or some support if you spent that much time waiting!
    LOL, oh yes, six days, 84 hours in total put in with around ten keepers, sadly a few days after I left the site was abandoned which was cause for concern.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the framing and details for both tree and owl. Worth the wait, I'd say...
    Thanks David, you may think so if i post a few more...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very well done.

I would burn and dodge the areas more. I would also sharpen the owl a bit more.

It sure was long wait.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve....Lovely capture. I like the detail on the owl and the pose with his/her back up against the hole entrance...gives good space for the bird to look into on the other side. Going by your settings, I think this represents the light at the time...Not glossy looking here, on my iMac ...If anything, I would have a look at darkening the shadowed area inside the hole just a wee bit. The bark looks good at f/7.1

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:

I am on the road, with matte screened Mac Book Pro. I usually work with the lights down or off when possible. I just looked at it again with lights off, still looks a bit flat, and I am someone who isn't a big contrast kind of guy. Not a big deal, just my impression.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, A beautiful tree and Owl. It's a beautiful scene and the visible foot adds. Respectfully, I think the image is over exposed, Not necessarily the owl, but the beautiful edges of the opening. I think you have lost some of the richness of colors that are present in the i phone image.
    Robert Kimbrell

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The owl looks nice and snug in it's home. I like the crop and the framing. Detail looks quite nice as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks.

Steve:

I am on the road, with matte screened Mac Book Pro. I usually work with the lights down or off when possible. I just looked at it again with lights off, still looks a bit flat, and I am someone who isn't a big contrast kind of guy. Not a big deal, just my impression.

Cheers

Randy
    Hi Randy, apologies in the late reply, just not getting any notifications on threads, plus, like you I've been rammed with stuff these last few weeks. Thanks for the input and clarification, lights off is the way to go, did minimal Contrast, especially with LR. If you sent me a raw and all I did was remove what LR puts in behind the scenes I think you might be shocked Randy, but I still prefer LR as the converter of choice. As it stands I'm OK and the prints reflect the time of day well as it was overcast with flat light, direct sun just burns everything out, I guess it just comes down to how the image is presented on the monitor and our own perception, but good to get constructive feedback.