Thread: American Redstart In The Beginnings Of Nest Building.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Redstart In The Beginnings Of Nest Building.

Attached Images Attached Images

Just when most all other birds had finished nesting season, this ambitious female American Redstart was just beginning her's. No doubt a second brood, or a restart from a previous failed attempt. In any regards, it was a privilege to watch her weave materials together to form the foundation of the nest. For those that are curious, I also took the time to create a few short videos of the behaviour (here's where a tripod would have been useful, but still not too bad lol). Link to the best video found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQ5gBJ_vz4

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/125s., f/5.6, ISO 3200, natural light, handheld, cropped to help the comp, NR to the BG.
    Last edited by Daniel Cadieux; 08-05-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

Nice early construction phase. Looks like a mix of materials! The branch frames the action nicely, BG soft enough, well exposed with good handling of the noise. I am curious how long it will take her to build the nest. Will you be able to revisit the site?

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image, story, video, and especially head angle :). Me-thinks that sshe will not be fledging any chicks this year, but good practice with the nest building.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great biological insight Daniel, enjoyed that part and the story is equally as nice as the frame.

TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice of her to give this demonstration. Great story, image (of course) and video. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys.

Randy, I was able to go back the next week and she was sitting on eggs in her completed nest. Next thread!