Thread: Eurasian Golden Plover

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eurasian Golden Plover

Attached Images Attached Images

While exploring a remote road on a hillside near Lake Myvatn (Iceland) we came across this guy, his golden spangled plumage nicely lit up by the lovely late afternoon light. From July, 2016.

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 1000, 1/2500s @ f/7.1 manual.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet lovely light, pose and environment. I also love the side light and shadows. Looks like you could coax a little more out of the shadows on the bird but love this canvas as is. TFS

ps
    Golden indeed...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is very nice Bill, the calling pose is beautiful. The low POV works really well and I like the habitat and placement. My only thought is that is appears quite dark overall.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks David and Steve. Here I've used Curves to brighten the entire scene, with a little extra dodging on the aft end of the bird. Not sure whether the OP or the RP more accurately reflects the scene as I remember it, but the bit of brightening probably helps.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, certainly better and you are getting to see more within the image.

Not sure whether the OP or the RP more accurately reflects the scene as I remember it, but the bit of brightening probably helps.
    This is always the tricky part and a dilemma we all face I think Bill and occasionally we may stray from the original to make the subject look better and open up the image a bit more to show the subject off at it's best, which I think is acceptable. Therefore, and it is just an option, but opening up more of the darks/shadows and to gain a bit more separation between environment and subject may create more depth of detail and lift the subject from the backdrop, but still being mindful of the scene. The only areas that do need to be thought about are those whites and some additional dodging may be required. You do have some nice detail slightly hidden in that eye.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I remember this late afternoon investigating that hillside road as if it were yesterday. We were following at least two Plovers, as we crouched behind what low cover available, which was tough because they would run up and down shallow ravines, dart behind small bushy branches, and in and out of shadows. Your original post shows what the light actually looked like. In any event the detail is great, with the wonderful Icelandic habitat underfoot and in the background.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice scene Bill. The colors look great. I like the way the foreground grass do not obstruct the view and fall off so nicely to a pleasing background. A stunning little bird. I prefer the repost.
    Robert Kimbrell

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill:

Very nice frame, do prefer the repost. The angle of the lighting really helps add depth to the feathers , nice pose, good POV.

Like the detail of the encounter that Geoffrey added.

As a fun aside. While typing, a Great Blue Heron flew past my window over the lake. Our birds are a source of joy in these difficult times.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love these little birds, great colours at this time of year. I think if you just brightened the eye a little then the OP would work best. Shooting POV is perfect and I really like the calling pose as an added extra

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, nice frame of this subject in a natural habitat. The little yellow blooms in front of the Plover is perfectly placed IMO and the call is always a plus.

Good comments above. Agreed that the repost is better regardless of lighting and a touch to the eye as Mike said might also help.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all. For me, the eye looks just about right, with just enough distinction between iris and pupil. But to each his own.