Thread: Timothy Grass - Bad hair day

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Timothy Grass - Bad hair day

Attached Images Attached Images

Flowering Timothy grass with anthers sticking out.
    Canon 7DII + 180/3.5 + tripod
    f/8, 1/500, ISO 800
    Canon DPP4 for Raw conversion, PSCC, just a touch of noise reduction in Topaz.
    Full frame image

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ravi I think it is a good image but I feel it is oversharpened. I would suggest two things firstly reduce the highlights - it may then not appear oversharpened but if it does then reduce the sharpness. I suspect it may possibly be a little too sharp in DPP. I think it is worth having another look at, grass seed heads are always interesting up close and each year I keep forgetting to add to my collection - you have prompted me.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Jonathan, I processed differently than the above - ACR, cleaning up background and trying to bring down the whites. Looks slightly darker than the first one. I also cropped it slightly all around. I applied noise reduction only to the background. I think the oversharpening effect is caused by backlighting creating contrast between the darker anthers and the whit and translucent filaments.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ravi, I don't think I've ever seen (or noticed) anthers like this on a grass seed head before - quite impressive! On the repost, I like that I see more detail on the purple "heads" of the anthers, but partly what is striking about the OP is the whiteness of the filaments - and that seems toned down a bit in the repost. I'm not sure if you can have the best of both images in the same image.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ravi, I think repost is better, I agree the light quality/direction will be playing the biggest part.
    The other point is I cannot help but feel the initial sharpening is critical - especially if you use Topaz Denoise because this also sharpens the image.
    When using Topaz I open the file from ACR having adjusted the exposure/blacks/Whited shadows/highlights and White balance ONLY. - No sharpening at all - zero. (Sharpening increases noise)
    Then open Topaz DN AI, set to Auto and check, if necessary adjust but very often Auto is just fine. Then I make a new Smart Layer and go back to ACR and adjust as required but again I do not add sharpening, I only sharpen when producing the final image for web.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the framing. A nice frame of something most people would over look. A reflector would have helped with the lighting here.