Thread: Marabou stork

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Marabou stork

Attached Images Attached Images

Just a very simple head shot of a Marabou Stork shot late afternoon, forgot to reset the camera clock. Perhaps one of THE most ugliest of birds, but they do provide an essential job, out in the bush. Reading something Artie wrote and it applies to this I feel, a slight head turn towards camera offers more engagement with the viewer. Whites are just and no more in part, but not blown.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Marabou stork (Leptoptilos crumenifer) curious
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III HH
    Exposure: 1/1000s at f/8 ISO400
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRC 9.3 & PS2020
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful portrait, Steve. The afternoon light is very flattering, with very nice details. Lovely background as well. Some humans may find them unattractive, but they seem to have great personalities. You prompted me to do a bit of reading about the Marabou stork, and this is one interesting bird.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu
    Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 07-29-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey, many thanks for the kind words.

Beautiful portrait, Steve. The afternoon light is very flattering, with very nice details. Lovely background as well.
    I would be the first person to say 'I know nothing about photographing Avian subjects', but I do like, when the opportunities arise, to snap them in whatever environment/weather conditions they are in.

As you know, when you have visited Botswana, that these are very big birds, but known as the 'Undertaker' they do perform a well needed job. I'm very pleased to hear the posting provoked you to look this subject up, they are fascinating, nice one Geoffrey.

Cheers
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful frame Steve, Always a joy to see unique birds that I am unable to see in my area, taken by skilled photographers. You have the light where it needs to be. I like the way the hair on the back of the head stands out, and the mixture of colors in the shoulder.
    Robert Kimbrell

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I have been back to this image several times enjoying what I see. I love the Wood Storks here and this bird is just as magnificent, maybe more so. Your post processing has brought out the details wonderfully. The light from the right highlights the hairs on the back of the head and the feathers on the back quite nice. The colors of the head and bill are so unique. Lovely image, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All has been said. I also love the light angle and the head turn into it. Those whites are amazing along with all the other tones.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not bad Steve - you could make a bird photographer one day
    First class processing and 10/10 for noticing the lighting conditions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp, well exposed, beautiful BG. I love the "old man" look the head feathers give it. I bet you wish the chest was sunlit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good Steve, when I first saw it on my laptop this morning I thought it was too pano...But seeing it on the big screen ..perfect. The HA is spot on and is helped by the position of the pupil. Nice detail throughout ..Whites looks good here. Love the 'curly hair' on top.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks, sorry for the late reply as I'm not getting notifications, albeit Dan's was the first after Geoffrey's.

Always a joy to see unique birds that I am unable to see in my area
    Hi Robert, that's why I feel this site offers the best in 'showcasing' animals, plus the contributions folk make to the threads. You should occasional browse the Wildlife forum too, we don't bite.

Those whites are amazing along with all the other tones.
    Cheers david, some are just on the cusp, but...

Not bad Steve - you could make a bird photographer one day
    One day perhaps Jon, it's taken me long enough to try and get to grips with animals!!!

I bet you wish the chest was sunlit.
    Along with the HA too Dan. Sometimes you can get close, other times they just don't allow you in, like so many subjects, very much appreciate the feedback. Dan, just a thought, but could you guys post something in the Resources Forum, re set ups and perches please?

when I first saw it on my laptop this morning I thought it was too pano...But seeing it on the big screen ..perfect.
    Thanks Will. Always hard on a laptop Will and I would NEVER use it for PP. Spent over 4k on a new MacBook Pro and still only use it for travelling/editing in a basic capacity.