Thread: Inquisitive

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Inquisitive

Attached Images Attached Images

As I have mentioned before, there are two types of Polar Bear, one that is inquisitive, the other, no matter how careful you are, just doesn't want to know and heads off, this young male was curious. I was hoping he might have come a bit closer to the edge to get the full reflection, sadly he headed off to the right as viewed, but then came to us in his own time. How I miss these guys!

Getting/waiting to have that 'curved, raised' paw, is the element you alway want.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear (Ursus maritimus) curious
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM HH
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/6.3 ISO500
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRC 9.3 & PS2020
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb processing and colours, details excellent too. Not entirely crazy about the central position of the bear but I presume there was a good reason for that.
    (Too darned cold for me that place I would not wish to go Covid or no!)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, superb shot Steve! Beautifull detail in the bear and the snow, plus the reflection gives the picture a nice simmetry. I think that the central composition works, sinec the bear is looking at you and walking towards you, at least thats how the picture makes me feel. Though given those red eyes I wouldnt want to be near it:) How much did you overespose to compensate for the snow? Ah, just spotted the simmetry between the FG and BG, water with small ice in both. And of course, the raised paw.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not entirely crazy about the central position of the bear but I presume there was a good reason for that.
    Jon, it was just walking in, so at that distance I wanted the central FP to gain maximum sharpness, I can crop either side, but think the more wider POV is nice here rather than a tighter, more predictable crop.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think that the central composition works, sinec the bear is looking at you and walking towards you, at least thats how the picture makes me feel.
    That was my thoughts too Dan.

How much did you overespose to compensate for the snow?
    Dan, +0.67, 2/3s of a stop, but remember that is just the first part, there is work required in PP too, but if you get the right exposure you'll be amazed at how much detail you can pull back in.

And of course, the raised paw.
    That's what photo libraries appear to like.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- I just always admire how well you expose the PB images. These are not very easy settings to do so. I wonder how many images can go bad for a first timer in such settings.

I loved the scene and the reflection and offcourse the raised paw. What a fantastic looking animal. Excellent IQ , with nice details and tones.

Superbly done, TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, great to have you back commenting and the kind words.

If you ever take the plunge to visit Svalbard let me know, I will give you truck loads of info as I have done for another member, however you will nail the images, no question!!!

Hope all is well with you and your family.

cheers
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of that paw. The environment is great. Killer detail as well. The reflection is nice as well.