Thread: Spider

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spider

Attached Images Attached Images

My first attempt (Crude Attempt) of photographing Spiders in Antelope Island.

Used fill flash in Backlit situation.

Nikon D850, 300 f/4 +1.4x TCII
    ISO 1600, f/8, 1/800 sec
    Flash Compensation -4 EV

Post Processing:-
    Levels on the background and on highlights
    Slight crop for composition

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Krishna, not bad for a first attempt, they are not so easy as might be expected. I think the key thing is to think about the purpose of the image in the first place, i.e. what are you trying to convey? Is it a picture of the spider in its environment? Does it show the web and surroundings or is it a picture to show the spider sitting in wait? Is it showing the spider repairing the web?
    The flash worked well exposure is good. The spider is at a magnification that shows it clearly to be a spider but for me it falls a little short in showing mouth parts or eyes or spinnerets etc. I hope this doesn't sound too critical it is not a bad image but is doesn't really communicate to me if you see what I mean.

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image. Looks like Argiope spider. I would have liked to see the spider slightly bigger to see the details. Compositionally, there is not much interesting below the spider to draw attention to spider, so a crop may bring some details on the spider. I have tried many spider shots before and it is very difficult to bring the head and the body in the same focal plane. You have done that very well. The ventral surface of the spider doesn't show any eyes, but I can see the suckers. Markings show well on abdomen and legs well.

5. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very colorful spider and you have captured it with good overall sharpness. Photo critiquing is subjective as people see things differently. I like the off-center comp and the clean background is a plus. The image works for me, as presented.

7. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The placement of the spider in the frame is right on. Exposure is nice as well. Solid background.

9. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Maxson View Post
    This is a very colorful spider and you have captured it with good overall sharpness. Photo critiquing is subjective as people see things differently. I like the off-center comp and the clean background is a plus. The image works for me, as presented.
    I am with Steve 100% :)

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

11. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post