Thread: KD Dorsalis 2

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default KD Dorsalis 2

Name:  20200630-Killdeer-Bank-Ominous-Brian-Sump-_BMS0347-SIG-FORUM-SS10_.3-final-brushsharpen.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  580.9 KB

Same morning, better camera settings ;-)

Couple things:
    1. I know the background isn't for everyone. This gave a really ominous feel to me and I liked it.
    2. This bird had a lot of contrast right out of the camera. I performed some small enhancements but didn't do anything drastic (slight s curve on mids and took highs down a touch. Little sat and vib)

Still have a goal to get some more full frame, this was also over 50% on 45mp D850.

D850
    600mm+1.4
    Handheld
    ISO 800
    1/3200
    f6.3

LR and PS. Cleaned a couple spots on bkg and smoothed a bit.
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 07-15-2020 at 12:01 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Again, love the top view ans slight head turn your way. Perfect DOF on this one and love the BG, TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nice Wing position. Not sure I like the background.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You nailed the Killdeer, the yellow strip is not great, most of the BG is fine for me.
    I would healing brush most of the yellow out....
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am viewing from mysmall laptop at the cottage so cannot comment on the finer technical aspects !
    Love the topside view and appears to be tack sharp on my screen.Good head angle.Love the fanned tail (with no missing feathers or raggedy feathers).
    I just wish for a better BG but I would be thrilled to have this in my files!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man, now there is that banking pose that was too much to ask for eh!! Pretty sweet. The other image had a better BG IMO, but this one the subject is tops.

"KD" means "Kraft Dinner" up here, which is also known as Mac 'N' Cheese down your way :-) Making me hungry!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian:

Really love the bird, but the yellow area in the BG is a visual challenge. The rest of the background is so subdued, that the yellow area really pulls the eye.

It can be tweaked, but people have different senses of what is acceptable in post.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all. I could certainly take out the yellow strip but chose to leave it as a reference point of the water line in the frame. Receiving your comments I will also save a version with it evicted.

Daniel, you mean highly nutritious, microwavable macaroni and cheese? (ref Home Alone) I'm in!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are certainly nailing these speedsters. Flight pose to die for. Seems a little contrasty but it really makes it pop. BG is good but I would certainly experiment with removing the yellow band as an alternative.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, nice image. Wonderful wing position and splayed tail. A background I would die for in Florida, not much but flat land here. I think if you reduced the blacks and contrast more fine detail would come forth. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the banking pose Brian and agree on the the yellow being dealt with, but it could go a tad warmer on the Temp front and move the Tint slider to add a bit more green, to reduce the magenta cast coming through. Colours then look good.

I think if you reduced the blacks and contrast more fine detail would come forth.
    Agree with you there Joe.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, Joe and Steve much appreciated.

I learned the hard way not to reduce contrast and I made a point to try and not touch that slider. Hurt me more times than not but as mentioned, really didn't add much (any) other than strengthening the mids. I actually quite liked the contrast here but can see the point of seeing about more detail in blacks. Only issue would be, based on the crop and location of the blacks I'm not sure there's much to be had. Worth a shot.

Steve, you speaking of magenta on whole image or are you speaking specifically on the bkg? I see it in spots especially the bkg but didn't see a 'cast' per se.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I learned the hard way not to reduce contrast and I made a point to try and not touch that slider. Hurt me more times than not but as mentioned, really didn't add much (any) other than strengthening the mids.
    Hi Brian, this sounds more of a positive note, rather than a negative, so in my book that's great because it indicates we learn and therefore progress.

Brian, I've cropped so you can see the comparison, as you can pull both into PSCC and compare side by side on screen.

Steve, you speaking of magenta on whole image or are you speaking specifically on the bkg? I see it in spots especially the bkg but didn't see a 'cast' per se.
    Overall Brian, however it's your call if you wish to retain it within the BKG, but evident certainly within the subject. All I did was remove what I consider to be a magenta cast, then add a little more Saturation via a Levels adjustment on the darker brown plumage, eased the contrast to pull more clarity/definition within the wings to try and enhance that lovely spread of feathers, personal perhaps?

I crudely also removed that yellow at the foot just again to help illustrated the subject.

Hope this helps.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I can see the lift in magenta as you posted.

RE crop, love 5x4 and use it often however this was already nearing a 60% crop so I chose to invert the crop and give some breathing room. Was worried about IQ coming in tighter but yes, of course crop is nicer in the repost

Good talk..... ;-)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, I only cropped as I said so it’s easier for comparison. I would work via the WB route, juxtapose to addressing anything in the HSL panel. However, you can always refine things more, if required, but you may find it’s then not magenta, but perhaps purple.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

bird is great, BG not so much. you want this bird with its fanned tailed but with the BG of the previous shot you posted

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice dorsal flight frame. Agree about the bird being too centered. Nice and sharp though.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely, Brian. Dorsal to the max. Bird is so nice I don't care about the BKG. Congratulations. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ari, Jay and John thanks for chiming in!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brain, high level... congratulations

21. Thanks Brian Sump thanked for this post