Thread: White-cheeked Tern

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-cheeked Tern

Attached Images Attached Images

This frame was shot a couple of days ago at a local marsh. I was trying to work Little Bitterns when I noticed these terns dive-bombing a shallow pool that was teeming with fish. I carefully crawled up to the water's edge and was able to photograph a couple of close passes. The light was quite low and I had to push my camera's ISO slightly higher than I'd like. The file posted here has been downsized and compressed quite a bit, so any posterization/sharpness artifacts seen here are not present on the TIFF.

Camera - Nikon D850
    Focal Length - 500mm
    Aperture - f/5.6
    Shutter Speed - 1/3200s
    ISO - 3600
    Handheld
    Manual, Auto ISO
    ~60% of Full-frame

Thanks as always for the valued comments and suggestions!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the action and the water drops, beautiful light and BG. The IQ seems to have suffered quite a bit, the details look a bit coarse and crunchy from here, especially in the head area

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The action and BG are very nice. I do think the IQ is not your best....
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys! It's weird because I, too, find the bird slightly coarse when viewed on this forum. Something seems to be going wrong in my sharpening workflow as the TIFF is sharp, but the downsized JPEG isn't. I'll have to look into that.

EDIT: I had a quick go at the processing and it looks like I had earlier applied very little NR to the background and fine sharpening to the bird. In the resulting JPEG, the wet feathers and the water droplets did turn quite coarse. In the re-edit, I applied more NR to the BG and some sharpening at a higher radius. I'm still not sure it's quite there, but I'll keep working on it. Output sharpening has always been a major pain for me, so I appreciate the feedback!
    Last edited by Aditya Sridhar; 07-13-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aditya, I hear ya on the output sharpening. That's something that's been beaten down here and takes effort to get right.

I think this is a beautiful composition and I want to give credit to the challenging aspects of this one, which you nailed - the amazing bkg colors, angle of flight, fish in mouth and head visibility through the droplets. Fantastic.

From my angle the repost is a good bit better. I don't know that I necessarily saw crunchiness in the o.g. post as it is typically associated on the forum, but it did seem to lack detail and was a bit coarse.

Keep working, this one is close as far as I'm concerned.

6. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well the timing is dead on. Perfect capture for me. Love the color in the background and the water.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one as well. Love the wide stretch in the wings and fish and the swoop of the water from the tail feathers. Nice! TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action. You did very well to execute this image at such a low angel. The background is beautiful as is he splashing water. Nice angle on the bird as well as the fish. I am sure you will revisit this location. The sharpness we would all like is almost there, yet still a solid frame.
    Robert Kimbrell

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is really nice! IQ is much better. The low angle and red surrounds makes for a really unique image. The splash really pops!

I'll never understand all the different layers of sharpening in different programs. I just move the LR sliders a bit and set the output sharpening to "Sharpen for screen" and "High".
    I'm rarely critiqued on sharpness, so I guess it works well enough.....