Thread: Sandhill Crane adult studio head portrait

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sandhill Crane adult studio head portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on the morning of 6 JULY 2020 at Indian Lake Estates. I used the handheld Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens (at 600mm) and the 61MP monster, the Sony Alpha a7R IV Mirrorless Digital camera body ISO 400. Exposure determined by Zebras with ISO on the rear wheel: 1/800 sec. at f/7.1 in Manual mode; the exposure was confirmed as perfect by RawDigger. AWB just after 7am on a sunny morning. Tracking Flexible Spot M AF-C was active at the moment of exposure and performed superbly.

For this one, the “studio” setting was provided by the concrete driveway where the bird stood. I got out of my vehicle to get higher and avoid the house in the background … Learning to recognize such situations can provide great rewards.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome. Learn more in Pane #2.

with love, artie

ps: Arash has been trashing this lens on all counts but it turned out that he had a bad copy ...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Everything in this pane if from the Don't Let the Old Man In. Driveway Sandhill Crane Studio blog post here.

All folks over 70 should check out the great Toby Keith/Clint Eastwood video ...

As for everything below, I am thinking that many folks here coult learn quite a bit. Just like I did :)

Focus Breathing

I have heard the term focus breathing for many years and possibly for several decades. I thought that it applied only to zoom lenses that zoomed internally, that is, lenses did not extend when you zoomed to a longer focal length). Arash Hazeghi mentioned that the SONY 200-600 does not give you 600mm when you are working close (as with today’s featured image). My first response was that I had never really noticed nor did I consider it a problem. But I owed it to myself to learn more about focus breathing. I found an article on the PhotographyLife website by Nasim Mansurov and read it carefully. I learned that I was wrong in my understanding of focus breathing (but only 100% wrong!). Interested folks can learn a lot from Nassim’s Understanding Focus Breathing article here. I urge all who use a telephoto zoom lens and those who do focus stacking when shooting macro, landscape or architecture photography to study this article.
    Here is a direct quote from the beginning of the piece:

Focus breathing is a term that describes the change in focal length that occurs as a result of adjusting the focusing distance of a lens. It is a common issue that occurs on many photographic lenses. As focus is adjusted from close focus to infinity, focus breathing causes noticeable changes in both angle of view and magnification. These changes are often clearly visible to the photographer during the process of focusing, with different lenses exhibiting varying levels of focal length changes. Focus breathing issues can occur on both prime and zoom lenses. (Italics mine.)

Focus Breathing and the SONY 200-600 G Lens

Tuesday evening I grabbed my 200-600, zoomed to 600mm, turned AF off, walked as far from my house as I could, and focused manually on one window. As I turned the focus ring to closer focus, the window obviously got smaller in the frame. As regular readers know, I am not a big fan of testing, but I am 100% positive that at minimum focusing distance the SONY 200-600 GM zoomed out to 600mm will actually give you something like 550mm of reach (or possibly a bit less).

Focus Breathing and MFD Info for the SONY 200-600 G Lens (and others)

Nasim concludes with this:

Is focus breathing a big problem that every photographer needs to be aware of? Not really. Most photographers aren’t even going to notice any differences in angle of view and magnification when using most lenses at close distances.

For me, that about sums it up. I never noticed the focus breathing/shorter focal length issue with the 200-600 until Arash Hazeghi pointed it out.
    Folks need to understand that the MFD of the 200-600 is a very superb 7.87 feet. That compares quite favorably with the MFD of the SONY 600mm f/4 GM at 14.8 feet, and the Nikon 500mm f/5.6 PF lens at 9.84 feet.

The magnifications work out to .2X for the 200-600, .18X for the 500 PF, and a still respectable .14X for the weapon of mass destruction, the SONY 600mm f/4 GM.

Therefore, even with the focus breathing issues significantly reducing the focal length of the SONY 200-600 for close work, it is still the clear winner when it comes to working tight (again, as with today’s super-sharp featured image …)

Just for the record book, the MFD for the SONY (and the Canon) 100-400 lenses is an amazing 3.22 feet that results in magnification as great as 0.35X (depending on the focal length). \

The a7R iv and the SONY 200-600 G Lens

In the SONY e-Guide (by Patrick Sparkman and Arthur Morris), we state clearly that for flight photography the a7r iv/200-600 g combo is less than ideal. The a7r iv with the 200-600 is, however, perfect for close work and for general bird and nature photography; with good technique and a decent shutter speed the huge a7r iv files are incredibly sharp. And the a7r iv does well with flight photography on the 600mm f/4 GM both alone and with either TC. AF, however, is not as good as it is with the a9 ii.

Both Patrick and I have trouble distinguishing sharp 200-600 G images from sharp 600mm f/4 GM images despite the fact that the GM lenses are supposed to be of much better quality than the SONY G lenses. Or not!
    Arash recently replaced his Nikon 600mm f/4 VR lens/D5 or D850 combination with the SONY 600mm f/4/a9 ii and is now routinely posting super-sharp flight images made at 1200mm in the Avian Forum on BPN
    Strangely, Arash trashed the SONY 200-600 over the course of several e-mails last week. He finally realized that it was possible that he had received a damaged lens. I am happy to report that he had the lens replaced and is now making some very sharp images with his new 200-600 and the a9 ii.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just amazing details and colors. Some will mention the OOF end of beak, but I could care less. TFS

ps
    That eye... A7R4 delivers the details with this lens IMHO...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks good, wish for a green BG

my 200-600 was a lemon, total piece of junk. I returned it to B&H and got a 2nd copy after Artie swearing by its sharpness and now mine is sharp too. Deson;t look bad at all next to my 600!

The lens does have focus breathing, at MFD it is about 520mm from my measurement give or take 10mm. As you mention since the MFD of the lens is pretty close this is not an issue for making close range head shots and such. the magnification is still better than the 600 and even marginally better than the PF.

What is a bit of compromise with the sony zoom is that the focal length doesn't recover even at medium shooting distance like 10-20 yards. This is typical BIF distance. most lenses that have breathing will get pretty close to advertised FL at those distances but they sony is still ~540mm at 15 yards. It is really at infinity like 400+ yards where it becomes truly 600mm.

540mm is just a bit short on FF 24 mega pixel A9 but it can be used with the TC.

overall I am much happier with my 2nd copy of this lens, so if you get one make sure you test out so you don't end up with one like my first copy
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, super portrait!

Interesting the feathers on the cheek almost look noisy from sharpening. But I've never been this close to one.

FWIW, the whites below the eye line here have some RGB values in the 250+ range versus the Bunting I posted are all below 230.

Green backgrounds should get plaques nowadays.... they are a hot commodity. I like this none-the-less.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A good opportunistic shot in nice light. I like the face and eye but not the soft beak tip.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Maybe a step to your right to get all parallel and get tip of beak sharp.
    Otherwise all good.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A solid portrait of this sandhill. Wish the bill tip was tack sharp. But what are you gonna do. Still a lovely frame. Detail looks great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    looks good, wish for a green BG

my 200-600 was a lemon, total piece of junk. I returned it to B&H and got a 2nd copy after Artie swearing by its sharpness and now mine is sharp too. Deson;t look bad at all next to my 600!

The lens does have focus breathing, at MFD it is about 520mm from my measurement give or take 10mm. As you mention since the MFD of the lens is pretty close this is not an issue for making close range head shots and such. the magnification is still better than the 600 and even marginally better than the PF.

What is a bit of compromise with the sony zoom is that the focal length doesn't recover even at medium shooting distance like 10-20 yards. This is typical BIF distance. most lenses that have breathing will get pretty close to advertised FL at those distances but they sony is still ~540mm at 15 yards. It is really at infinity like 400+ yards where it becomes truly 600mm.

540mm is just a bit short on FF 24 mega pixel A9 but it can be used with the TC.

overall I am much happier with my 2nd copy of this lens, so if you get one make sure you test out so you don't end up with one like my first copy
    Thanks and glad. I have 10,000 just like it with green BKGRs :) With close flying birds, the 2-6 is deadly with the a9 ii. Of course it does not give you 840 or 1200mm. I wouold never try flight with the 2-6 and the 1.4X TC.

The SONY 200-600 it is better than the 500 PF for close flight for several reasons:

1- 540mm is greater than 500mm :)

2- You can zoom wider if need be.

3- a9 ii AF is better than anything Nikon has.

with love, a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Artie, super portrait!

Interesting the feathers on the cheek almost look noisy from sharpening. But I've never been this close to one.

FWIW, the whites below the eye line here have some RGB values in the 250+ range versus the Bunting I posted are all below 230.

Green backgrounds should get plaques nowadays.... they are a hot commodity. I like this none-the-less.
    WW. I am not seeing anything that looks remotely like noise or over-sharpeniing. As for your bunting, the RGB values have nothing to do with the brightness. Your bunting (and may of your images) look to bright and too contrasty to me and to others. If you like them like that, have at it. FWIW, the crane image here does not look overly contrasty.

As I said to Mr. Hazeghi, I've got 10,000 just like this with green BKGRs. I like this one because it is different.

And since you are relatively new to this, you may not know that I patented o-o-f green backgrounds more than 25 years ago :)

a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

To All, Thanks for commenting. As for the perceived softnesss of the distal end of the bill, I believe that it looks that way in good part due to the fact that the finish (if you would) near then end of the bill is worn off from being jabbed into the earth at least 10,000,000 timess.

with love, a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    WW. I am not seeing anything that looks remotely like noise or over-sharpeniing. As for your bunting, the RGB values have nothing to do with the brightness. Your bunting (and may of your images) look to bright and too contrasty to me and to others. If you like them like that, have at it. FWIW, the crane image here does not look overly contrasty.

As I said to Mr. Hazeghi, I've got 10,000 just like this with green BKGRs. I like this one because it is different.

And since you are relatively new to this, you may not know that I patented o-o-f green backgrounds more than 25 years ago :)

a
    It was cynicism in my voice RE green bkg. Sure you have lots. And you probably pioneered many things in Avian photography, which is why you're so well respected.

And regarding sharpening, it wasn't a comment telling you it was over sharpened, simply one interpretation of the effect of the feathers. I'd imagine the whole bird would have looked over sharpened had there been an issue, unless you spot hit just that area which is doubtful.

I'm always open to opinions. If an image of mine is too bright, that's cool. If it's too contrasty, fine as well. I take the replies on my photos and apply what makes sense from those I trust.

I don't currently use one cookie cutter process in post. Some may, but I don't because I'm not always shooting the same birds in the same environment like some. Accordingly, the way I portray my shots is an ongoing work in progress. I don't always hear a bird is too bright, nor too contrasty. Here and there perhaps, sure. In the bunting only one person as I recall stated "at first" they thought it was too bright, then reconsidered. Unless people just aren't sharing publicly, and maybe that's the case but not helpful for me. Growing in what certain birds look like that I've never seen and in the PP tools and processes available and what my tastes will be long term? Absolutely, 100%.

And honestly, I don't think because I haven't been shooting long necessarily means I don't have a creative eye and some feel for things. As you know my entire secondary education took place in a performing art school, where I graduated high school.

Thanks for the reply. As I stated prior, a SUPER portrait

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie, looks good to me. I like the background. Feather detail looks good, the tip of the bill does appear soft by I read your reasoning and from watching the Sandhill Cranes on the golf course behind my house they are constantly probing the ground feeding. Thank you for sharing,
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks and glad. I have 10,000 just like it with green BKGRs :) With close flying birds, the 2-6 is deadly with the a9 ii. Of course it does not give you 840 or 1200mm. I wouold never try flight with the 2-6 and the 1.4X TC.

The SONY 200-600 it is better than the 500 PF for close flight for several reasons:

1- 540mm is greater than 500mm :)

2- You can zoom wider if need be.

3- a9 ii AF is better than anything Nikon has.

with love, a
    you forget the weight :)

I actually did try the new one with 1.4X, have to say not bad at all better than DSLR f/8 without a doubt
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog