Thread: Buff Tip, Phalera bucephala

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Buff Tip, Phalera bucephala

Attached Images Attached Images

Often photographing caterpillars in the field is more or less a registration. I'll hope this is the correct word? But sometimes a species choose a spot wich makes it possible to create a little extra.
    I was a bit struggeling with the wind, but with some patience and focus you can pick the short moments of windlessness.

Camera 1DX
    Canon 180 mm macro
    ISO 1600
    F 6.3
    SS 1/125
    Fill-inn flash
    Last edited by Jan van Holten; 07-04-2020 at 02:34 PM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jan,
    Lovely image! very colorful caterpillar. great background. I am wondering if the vertical composition (rotating the image by 90 degree clockwise) would make the image flow better, but this works too as the caterpillar is framed by the leaf above.

3. Thanks Jan van Holten thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am always on the look out for images like this, I am very pleased for you I think it looks great.
    The flash isn't bad but it was the first thing I asked myself - was flash used? Do you use a diffuser? Was fill in negative?

5. Thanks Jan van Holten thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I am always on the look out for images like this, I am very pleased for you I think it looks great.
    The flash isn't bad but it was the first thing I asked myself - was flash used? Do you use a diffuser? Was fill in negative?
    Hoi, I used a macroflash, the MR-14EX from Canon. It has a kind of build in diffuser. I can't see if it was a negative fill in flash, but I'll presume I did. The location was a short forest trail (somewhat dark) with a lighter background. With editing I've pushed "shadows" a bit more to show the beauty of the caterpillar.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent. Pleasing image and beautiful Colors
    TFS

8. Thanks Jan van Holten thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I am confused *** to why you say "the flash isn't bad." If you had to ask yourself if flash was used and it turns out that it was, that is the greatest compliment the photographer could get.

Jan. I find this to be a fabulous image on all counts. When it opened, I went "wow!"

Registration is surely the wrong word. Did you mean to mean that it was challenging, that is, difficult?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I am confused *** to why you say "the flash isn't bad." If you had to ask yourself if flash was used and it turns out that it was, that is the greatest compliment the photographer could get.

Jan. I find this to be a fabulous image on all counts. When it opened, I went "wow!"

Registration is surely the wrong word. Did you mean to mean that it was challenging, that is, difficult?

with love, artie
    Hi. What I'll meant is that I now it was a bit challenging because of the wind. I call this images " a registration plus". It shows the subject pretty standard, but I'am always trying to get the background working in a more artistic way.

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post