Thread: Woodpecker Braille

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Woodpecker Braille

Attached Images Attached Images

I found this sapsucker well next to a northern flicker nest I have been following. Lighting is tricky.
    Canon 1 DX 3, 600mm and 1.4x
    ISO 2000 f 5.6 @1/500
    Comments and critiques appreciated with thanks,
    Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail, it appears that sapsucker has been hard at work. Nice profile of the bird. The image appears dark on my display but maybe that is how it was. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Gail, I very much like the setting and the perch, I evy you of this, because when I take a day off from skiing and take a hike around lost lake in Whistler I'll often see these trees, but sadly no subjects.

I think 1/500 is too slow and if they are like our Woodpeckers they are fast, so I would have bumped up the SS and hand holding that kit, impressive, push that 1DX3, have faith... Also to my eye there is a green hue to the overall image, address that I think will offer a more pleasing colour palette to the eye, but you were there. Perhaps crop just after the last set of rings at the foot, although is this a big crop?

Hope the attached helps or at least offers a comparison.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Joe. This image is 80% FF and was shot handheld as a vertical. It is deep in the woods so it is very very dark yet backlit by the rising sun.
    I could not move to the other side of the tree because of a deep ditch.
    I did not trust my HH skills to reduce the SS and in hindsight could have bumped the ISO up but this guy was there for 30 seconds and was gone.
    I agree about bumping up the exposure a bit more but am trying to stay faithful to the dark scene.
    The other thing about this image is that the file was quite large so had to decrease IQ quality to 6 to get within sizing requirements for BPN.
    Will play with this some more,
    Gail
    Last edited by gail bisson; 07-04-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail, huge fan of your photography as you know. The braille on the trunk is really cool and I love woodpeckers. Totally hear ya on HH at the low SS.

This one was just a bit off from your usual and I think the hue Steve mentioned is one part but also I think those pretty, bright bkg colors coming through really hurt the illumination of the subject. The effort and intent was there I know but I know you could get a better one. And who knows, maybe some isolated exposure increase on the bird and such could help as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail. Agree with the suggestions given by Steve & Brian. I'm also a fan of your photos (as you know). I'll also add that I'd crop more from the bottom...from just above the greenery on the left lower side. To some extent the tree is competing for my attention. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all. This will be one of those "almost shots", I guess. I do love the scene though!
    Brian- I did selectively increase the exposure on the sapsucker in the OP. It was pretty dark in there. I am trying to make lemonade out of lemons, sigh...
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lol, to me anything above 1/200s is good shutter speed, so this is OK techs for my style. I love the tree and how you composed the subject higher to include the full artwork (had this been a plain tree it would not work as well, but quite nice as posted). I like the faint green foliage at lower left, but would likely try to tone down the brighter highlights in the BG, especially the very brightest spot near the sapsucker. You did make lemonade IMO!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did very well with the balancing the light here. Good thinking on including the whole tree. Adds more to the story. Placement of the woodpecker in the frame is right on.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the title... the picture is just OK.

LOL. As always, lovely shot. You really get some great frames Gail... and the PP is always right on.
    I'm very jelly.

Best - TFS.