Thank You Posts

Default Common Snipe

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 1.4iii
    f/10
    1/200
    ISO 2500

A couple of days ago I had another trip to the 'Red Grouse Glen'...it was forecast rain, so I went looking for something different. I captured this Snipe at 0730 on a grey morning, but unfortunately the rain had stopped. I saw it perched at the side of the track I was driving on, switched the engine off, then free wheeled to where the bird was perched...I was actually too close with the 1.4 attached. I managed a few shots, the bird hardly flinched except for when it heard the camera. This was unusual, as these birds are usually difficult to get close to. Anyhoo I decided to take a chance and remove the extender.....The bird flew...

I had time to try different exposure settings, and found this one to be similar to the conditions at the time. HH ACR and PS2020

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really nice shot from my angle Will. Quite blue on the underside, which appears true to the bird and is very pretty. I've only seen Wilson's in my area and upon research this one has many similarities, compared to the Common. Curious on your ID keys here for learning's sake? (I read here: http://birdingnewfoundland.blogspot....ons-snipe.html)

HA, details in the bird and the lichen/moss on the perch does well for me. It feels just a smidge tight on the left and top but you can take or leave crop suggestions no doubt.

Appreciate you sharing!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    A really nice shot from my angle Will. Quite blue on the underside, which appears true to the bird and is very pretty. I've only seen Wilson's in my area and upon research this one has many similarities, compared to the Common. Curious on your ID keys here for learning's sake? (I read here: http://birdingnewfoundland.blogspot....ons-snipe.html)

HA, details in the bird and the lichen/moss on the perch does well for me. It feels just a smidge tight on the left and top but you can take or leave crop suggestions no doubt.

Appreciate you sharing!
    Thanks for that Brian...Interesting read....Wished it had been a Wilson's...that would cause quite a stir here. Everytime I go to the Glen, I always have visualised getting 'The Snipe on the Post' shot...So I was more than happy...just wished I had the chance to move further away from the subject, the rain never stopped, and had a chance with the bare lens...Maybe next time.

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, two great up angles on snipes in the same page. My wife is standing behind me and also elicited a "Wow". Love, love, love everything about this canvas. TFS

ps
    Just one more wow...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great close-up! Head and beak are just terrific. Nice perch for these guys.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice HA and lots of sharp close up details. nice soft light. too big in the frame for me and it;s a shame we can't see the feet, perch is OK but becomes somewhat distracting where it becomes OOF. I'd warm up the color balance a bit

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, can only echo Arash's thoughts, but for me, this is the best PP image, whatever you have 'tweaked' keep it, looks really super!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Wil, lovely Snipe that are pretty rare here and when seen almost always in deep cover. The bird looks great, I also wish I could see the feet and that the perch was more in focus. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this and agree this would have been killer if the tele had been removed.
    Excellent details and love the moss on the post but wish that was a bit more in focus.
    Gail

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great capture, William. Wonderfully detailed, and even though the desired rain had stopped, the overcast light is beautiful.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great look at this long-billed beauty. I agree with Arash. If the subject had perched at the very top of the post, and on the near side of it, that would have been so good. Fantastic details!

Brian, the Wilson's and Common Snipe were once considered the same species (Common), but were split a few years ago between the new-world and old-world birds.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose and detail on the bird are great. I like the framing as well. Yes a view of the feet would have been nice. But not always possible i know.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks All....

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd like more space around this fella - but he sure is sharp. Nice one! TFS.