Thread: Black Vulture

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Vulture

Attached Images Attached Images

My previous post was a Turkey Vulture, this is the other vulture found in Florida the Black Vulture. This image was captured at Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, camera and lens supported by a monopod
    1/1600 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 500 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 400mm
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, this is a cracking little portrait, I like the HA and that beedy eye, the detail in the head is fantastic, but it's all a bit hidden I think?

It looks a bit cool, like a bit of Magenta/Blue overall, so a question for you, as someone contacted me less than an hour ago as we were discussing, image colours etc. They found after the recent update some of their setting reverted back to factory settings I think, hence why they had issues, can you check LR or ACR (if you use it) and PSCC and that when both parties talk, the language (settings) are the same.

I quickly double processed the posting and with some simple tweaks it looks great, with more of that iridescent coming through, brighter/richer and the head just steals the show.

All the best
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the view of that face/eye as well as the back end plumage. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is an edit after reviewing a email attachment of the image that Steve sent.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, the head is an improvement and perhaps in my own interpretation my thoughts on colour are to way off and punchy, I'm guessing not being there.

You know my thoughts on the workflow, so I think it would be hard to do much more, however perhaps brushing the Iris adjustment over the wings may bring ou more of the iridescent colour, but again I don't know if there colourful or a more drab black????

Hope my email made sense and clarification of some of your points??? Sharpening looks better, did you address any settings now?

Just a thought, but how about a 16x10 crop, so you loose a fraction off the bottom?

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, the head is an improvement and perhaps in my own interpretation my thoughts on colour are to way off and punchy, I'm guessing not being there.

You know my thoughts on the workflow, so I think it would be hard to do much more, however perhaps brushing the Iris adjustment over the wings may bring ou more of the iridescent colour, but again I don't know if there colourful or a more drab black????

Hope my email made sense and clarification of some of your points??? Sharpening looks better, did you address any settings now?

Just a thought, but how about a 16x10 crop, so you loose a fraction off the bottom?

Steve

Hi Steve, the bird does look drab most of the time. Actually I was surprised that there was iridescence in the wing feathers when viewed close. I had not thought of using the iris adjustment on the feathers, will make a virtual copy and give it a try. I did not change the sharpening, I did dodge the shadowed part of the head, a little plus on the shadow slider and added just a little clarity to that area. Yes, I read your email and it did clarify aspects of post processing. Thanks for the continued help, viewing and commenting.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I’m just trying to think of what may or may not work for you Joe. Obviously you can ‘customise’ those adjustments with other elements too, so don’t be afraid to try and tweak, you never know! Read my comment on sharpening, that could be the issue here????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Solid portrait of this black vulture. I could see some more cropped off the bottom let. Detail on the head looks great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I could see some more cropped off the bottom let
    That was my thinking too John, WDYT Joe?