Thread: Great Snipe display

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Snipe display

Attached Images Attached Images

Don't know how familiar most of you are with this species but it is one of my absolute favorites! This shorebird migrates to central Africa during the summer months and return to the Scandinavian mountains as one of the first migrants in early May. They are often welcomed by quite harsh conditions and there is often snow on the ground when they arrive. In the end of May and until the middle of June they start displaying on medium altitude plains on the tundra during the peak of the midnight sun. This image was taken just after 1AM as the sun started to peak behind the horizon again. Blackground is a distant mountain and the lighter streaks some snow on the hillsides. Unfortunately, this magical experience had a tragic ending when I dropped my dear and trusty camera in a puddle as I was removing the extender. Clumsy but hopefully a lesson I only needed to learn once. We will see when I will be back to some photography again. Looking forward to the announcement of the R5...

All comments welcome!

Hope everyone is well and healthy!

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV | Canon 500mm f/4.0L IS USM II | ISO1200 | f/5.6 | 1/200s
    Last edited by Ivan Sjogren; 07-02-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is an outstanding frame. Snipe are very, very hard to approach over here, and I assume its the same over there. Sounds like you have chance when they're displaying, and you really made it count. I love everything about this. The habitat is so interesting. Muted light helps tell the story as well. I might clone out the one taller blade, but it's always cool to have a frame with zero cheating! Bravo.....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet frame with great pose. Love the tundra and the mountain BG, and the light. Sorry about the tragic ending.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The sweet soft light, the clean environment, the angle from below and the pose make this a very unique and beautiful image of a snipe. The BG and the ground/perch also add to this canvas. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry about your camera!!! Lovely photo, I hope you get back to shooting and posting soon.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Like everything about this one. Low angle,pose and framing all are right on. Ah yes water the cameras natural enemy.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ivan, great lighting made for a great shot here. The natural ground is beautiful although I do agree with Dorian on that one grass blade.

Perfect world, you would not have dropped your camera most importantly, but perhaps a slightly better head angle would slightly improve the frame.

Good work!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ivan, the low POV works well and I like the slight 'looking up' angle. The jaunty HA works very nicely and I do like the slight gap in the bill. The dramatic blue works to create some nice separation and highlight the subject. Personally I might tweak the Tone Curve to ease on the blacks & Contrast, it just opens uo a bit more of the finer detail Ivan.

Once this madness stops, you should look at visiting Texel, a short hope, worth a punt.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ouch on the gear!! Sorry to hear about that. Beautiful image. I love the flared tail feathers. Nice carpet of vegetation as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am late to the party Ivan but so sorry to hear about your gear. I hope you had insurance.
    Lovely pose and love the blue BG.
    I would clone out that long blade of grass in a "New York minute" .
    Love the ground vegetation,
    Gail