Thread: Northern Parula

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Parula

Attached Images Attached Images

Walking down my driveway to get the newspaper one morning in early May I heard the unmistakable song of a Northern Parula. I almost never get migrating spring warblers in my suburban yard, and I don't recall ever getting this species. He was singing away in the upper branches of a very tall Pin Oak. I went to get my field glasses and camera, and on further inspection found there were two Parulas and one Black-throated Green Warbler, all high in the tree. I did my best to entice one of them to a lower branch, but this is as low as he would come; there was one lower branch that would have been better, but he wasn't interested. I don't believe I've posted this one, probably because the angle is steep, but it's the best I could get of this beautiful warbler on that nice spring morning.

D500, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600mm, ISO 1000, 1/1600s @ f/6.3 manual. Modest crop, and removed several oof twigs.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the singing pose and the setting. With the bird too centered it could use a good crop from the top and the left. The biggest need was for a ahead turn toward you ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose,perch and framing. I think you even got slight motion blur on the lower beak during the call which is cool. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great perch, and you were lucky to get a background without a bunch of junk! Exposure, sharpness, detail all look excellent. Overhead angle leaves a tough view to the face and eye, but you knew that already. I think you made
    the best image the subject would allow. That speaks to your skill.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a stunning bird! I'm really jealous of these colorful warblers in America as we mostly have plain phylloscopus warblers in Europe.
    I really like the advanced perch and the placement of the bird on the branch. Light is a bit harsh but still pleasing.
    Singing pose is good but the head angle is a bit off. I agree that the bird is a bit too centered in the frame but my main problem is the shooting angle which resulted in both the blue patches of sky in the background and the sort of belly-view of the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, wonderful composition with the flora and love the singing pose as well.

Only nit would be the HA as mentioned. Did the best you could I think.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

How lucky you're were to get these beauties in your yard. Great calling pose and nice perch under soft direct light.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The spring perch is great. The blue and green go very nice together.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto what Dorian said! (i am getting lazy!)
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone.