Thread: Aquatic Jewel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Aquatic Jewel

Attached Images Attached Images

This spatterdock bud image was created at Indian Lake Estates, FL on 18 JUNE 2020. I used the Induro GIT 404L/FlexShooter Pro-mounted Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens with the Sony FE 1.4x teleconverter (at at 560mm) and the 61-mega-pixel monster, the Sony Alpha a7R IV Mirrorless digital camera body. ISO 400. Exposure determined by Zebras with ISO on the rear dial (and then bracketed): 1/6 sec. at f/8 (wide open) in Manual mode with 2-second timer. AWB at 7:33am on a partly-cloudy morning.

Plamped in place. Manual focus using the Focus Magnifier (page 37) and Manual Focus Toggle (page 35) tips and techniques detailed in the new SONY e-Guide and Videos.

I've begun doing flowers while isolating here at my home in central Florida as photographable birds can be hard to find here in summer.

To learn more about spatterdock see the blog post here. To see the original, learn about the image optimization, and see A BLACKER version of this image, see the blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and appreciated.

with love, a
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 07-03-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Insane looking aquatic plant. Looks more like a neon sign you would see on the side of a building somewhere. The colors are wonderful. Really neat frame. Looks like it is glowing.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, a very striking image. I haven't seen this plant before so I am struggling a little.
    I am assuming the surface of the head is smooth and glossy in appearance? I initially looked at the red area and thought there wasn't so much detail there but if it is smooth and glossy - well there wouldn't be would there?
    Was this a tiny flower head in the frame or is this a full frame image? I am asking because I don't know how realistic it is with your equipment to get more DOF, I am liking the area between say 6 o'clock and 8 o'clock where we see some detail in the green area, really I would have liked to see the whole of the bud in focus, I am guessing it is on the surface of a pond.
    If it is practicable I would really like to see another image.

PS I am glad you are turning your hand to plants - maybe you could get some damselflies and dragonflies??

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Hi Artie, a very striking image. I haven't seen this plant before so I am struggling a little.
    I am assuming the surface of the head is smooth and glossy in appearance? I initially looked at the red area and thought there wasn't so much detail there but if it is smooth and glossy - well there wouldn't be would there?
    Was this a tiny flower head in the frame or is this a full frame image? I am asking because I don't know how realistic it is with your equipment to get more DOF, I am liking the area between say 6 o'clock and 8 o'clock where we see some detail in the green area, really I would have liked to see the whole of the bud in focus, I am guessing it is on the surface of a pond.
    If it is practicable I would really like to see another image.

PS I am glad you are turning your hand to plants - maybe you could get some damselflies and dragonflies??
    Hi Jon,

Thanks for commenting, Follow the link above to learn more about spatterdock. In addition to being smooth and glossy it was wet :) This image is full frame, all 61-MPs of it. As. for more d-o-f, note the shutter speed: 1/6 sec. Me-thinks that sopping down enough at MFD would not be at all practical even if I raised the ISO a lot.

I just checked. At f/8 at .98 meters with a full frame body the total d-o-f is zero. But get this, if stopped down to f/64, the total d-o-f is still zero :). As I said, not a practical request.

with love, a

Artie, I wasn't thinking of a smaller aperture, I was wondering about stacking.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 07-06-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting looking aquatic plant. Love the neon-like halo around the edges. Likely caused by the submerging of the bud in water? Pretty sharp where matters. Like the diagonal composition.

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, what a contrast-rich and colourfull image. If the goal of this plant is extracting attention, it works very well. Not easy to handle and I can presume that a personal preference about how it should look like when edited, determines the likes and dont's. It's strong enough in my opinion.

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post