Thread: Sharpening and NR

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sharpening and NR

What are the key things you look for to signal you need to pull back on your sharpening?

Also - most everything I've read says to do NR last in your workflow - but I notice AI DeNoise (I usually use NI - but am trying DeNoise) says it should be done early/first in ones workflow. Your thoughts?

TIA.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one of those issues that if you ask 10 people for an answer you'll get 10 different ones. If you get sharpening halos, or jagged edges, then it's definitely time to pull back on the sharpening. I usually save a version that has everything done to it, except for NR and sharpening. When I need to post that image I pull it up and apply NR and sharpening to it, resize, then add another subtle touch of sharpening if needed (it usually does need it). This is really a simplistic description, but by-and-large that is how I do it. Most others will differ!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one of those issues that if you ask 10 people for an answer you'll get 10 different ones
    How true Dan.

Jay, I could spend a whole day talking to you about sharpening and all the various types that can be done and some way's you would never even know or think about, but the key thing to remember is..., you must always sharpen at the final size of output, ie after you have cropped. So if you upload an image and you have cropped to 1600 wide, then you sharpen at 1600px, but always Save As. In this way you retain your master file for further usage and it stays intact with all it's layers and adjustments.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.