Thread: Turkey Vulture

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Turkey Vulture

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image along Blackpoint Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge on Merritt Island, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, camera and lens supported by a monopod
    1/2500 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 640 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 400mm
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 06-30-2020 at 07:55 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful view of this ugly mo fo! I really like the composition. Exposure and detail look great (f/8 as a wise decision), but the bird seems really noisy for ISO 640. Curious what's going on there. Otherwise a really solid image. Nicely done, Joe.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Beautiful view of this ugly mo fo! I really like the composition. Exposure and detail look great (f/8 as a wise decision), but the bird seems really noisy for ISO 640. Curious what's going on there. Otherwise a really solid image. Nicely done, Joe.
    Hi Drian, I noticed what appeared to be noise in the feathers after posting, so I changed the image to a wider view to see if the 4x5 might have been too tight. They both look the same, just a wider or narrower view. Maybe I sharpened it too much concentrating on the detail on the head. Will look at it again tomorrow. Thank you for viewing and commenting.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the composition, the eye, the cloud base and the sky through the nostril. It simply looks like EXP was pulled up too far (or left too bright if ETTR). Another beautiful portrait from you. TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, I like the close up and the head has some nice detail. If you have run NR then I think what Dorian maybe seeing is some 'texture' within the plumage??? Either blow some more colour of the sky in to hide the graduating white, or crop up, but watch the sharpening halos.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, I like the close up and the head has some nice detail. If you have run NR then I think what Dorian maybe seeing is some 'texture' within the plumage??? Either blow some more colour of the sky in to hide the graduating white, or crop up, but watch the sharpening halos.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, thanks for viewing and commenting. Here is a edit with a little noise reduction to the dark feathers and more blue in the sky. I checked the original, the dark feathers/bird was underexposed against the bright background. I should have been at +2 EV. This edit is a 4x5 of the same image.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, the change in format I think is better, plumage to me looks about the same, but a tad less detail??? Personally I think the Blue is too strong, a bit too electric, the head does appear better, but the halos are more evident., sorry.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, the change in format I think is better, plumage to me looks about the same, but a tad less detail??? Personally I think the Blue is too strong, a bit too electric, the head does appear better, but the halos are more evident., sorry.
    Hi Steve, not a problem, everything can be fixed in Lightroom.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, not a problem, everything can be fixed in Lightroom.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey, Hey, maybe three's a charm. I went back to the original 16 bit TIFF and cleared all of the adjustments. I sharpened less being more careful cognizant of halos along the edges. I didn't touch the blue background but pulled back the Vibrance a bit. WDYT?
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, I think you are trying to do too much within LR and not allowing PS to do it's job, the fine tuning. In LR I feel you are making changes but they are effecting the image Globally, so currently to me the image looks cooler, and the head a bit purple/red. Now having never seen one it hards to know, only from seeing the Vultures in Africa.

Warming up the head so its a bit more 'redder' and bringing some warmth back into the wings starts to bring the layers of colour through into the picture. I don't know if this helps or is way off, but hopefully there is something in this that maybe beneficial for the next image, I'm just conscious of this haloing that shouldn't be happening.

All the best
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice solid portrait of this turkey vulture. I like the framing. Detail in the first repost is quite nice.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve and I have been going back and forth regarding the post processing of this image. Here is the image with the temperature of just the bird raided +10 in Lightroom. I also backed off the sharpening that was causing the feathers to appear to have noise and look cruncy a tad. I went back to the 2x3 because that was the original format and I like that it shows the layering of the feathers which is quite nice on this bird.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 07-03-2020 at 06:59 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, that looks better, did you get my email after lifting the 'security curtain'?